Gibson Brands Forums

1987 Les Paul Studio Standard

mac75

Guys, just picked up this 1987 Studio Standard model Les Paul. It is in amazing condition for an almost 25 year old guitar. I believe they made these for a few years, 83-87. These guitars had the bound body and fretboard like a Standard, but had dot fretboard inlays instead of the trapazoid type. Also, the body was slightly thinner than a Standard, giving it a nice weight without being chambered. Alot of them had Tim Shaw pickups also. I haven't taken them out yet to check. Also has the original paperwork and bullet-proof chainsaw type case. The only real flaw is one of the knobs seems to have internally shattered. I am probably going to change to gold speed knobs anyway. I think the color is "Ferrari Red". this must have sat in the case for most of it's life - not any more!IMG_2568.jpgIMG_2569.jpgIMG_2572.jpgIMG_2574.jpgIMG_2575.jpg

Please find here the specs from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars:

Studio Standard: Cream binding on top, cream bound rosewood fingerboard, dot inlay, sunburst, cherry sunburst or white finish. Introduced: 1984

Ferrari red finish only: 1986

Discontinued: 1988

Kind regards,

Stijn

Please find here the specs from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars:

Studio Standard: Cream binding on top, cream bound rosewood fingerboard, dot inlay, sunburst, cherry sunburst or white finish. Introduced: 1984

Ferrari red finish only: 1986

Discontinued: 1988

Kind regards,

Stijn

Thanks for the info!

Archived