Gibson Brands Forums

SG - Volume knobs act strange

eelir

Hi,

I noticed i weird thing on my SG. If i lower the volume down completely on one of the volume knobs, it turns the sound of completely for both PU. I know there is a switch to chose between rythme and treble and both. So i leave it in middle (both) and if i lower any of the volume knobs it silences the sound for both. Normally i can adjust the volume of both of them i just have to take care i do not lower in all.

Is this normal? Perhaps they wanted to leave this like this so one does not need to turn both knobs in case we want to silence the tone.

Hi,

I noticed i weird thing on my SG. If i lower the volume down completely on one of the volume knobs, it turns the sound of completely for both PU. I know there is a switch to chose between rythme and treble and both. So i leave it in middle (both) and if i lower any of the volume knobs it silences the sound for both. Normally i can adjust the volume of both of them i just have to take care i do not lower in all.

Is this normal? Perhaps they wanted to leave this like this so one does not need to turn both knobs in case we want to silence the tone.

That's normal.

That's normal on 2-pickup Gibson wiring. There is a mod that allows independent operation of each volume control, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to do it. Perhaps one of the more electronically-competent members will chime in here.

That's normal on 2-pickup Gibson wiring. There is a mod that allows independent operation of each volume control, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to do it. Perhaps one of the more electronically-competent members will chime in here.

Perhaps that's the so-called 50s wiring.......I'm getting a guitar pre-wired that way in two weeks......I'll know then.......[smile][drool][biggrin] .............

It allows you to blend the tones of the two pickups. Switch in middle position - volume both on 5. Want more highs turn volume on bridge up or turn neck pickup down a bit, but not off. Play with the settings to get the mix you like best. Then play with the tone pots on each. A lot of different tones can be had. Works really well on an LP also.

ONE of the things about "50's" wiring is that when BOTH pups are on (center position of the switch), the volume controls of the pups do not work independently, and the volume that has the LOWEST setting determines the volume you get out of the guitar.

With "60's" wiring, the volumes DO work independently with both pups on. So, you can BLEND different amounts of each pup together. However, when ONE volume is turned all the way OFF, there will be no sound when the switch is in the center position from either pup.

Let us not confuse 50's and modern wiring with dependent and independent wiring.

Both 50's and modern can be wired dependent or independent.

Almost all Gibson and Epiphone guitars are wired modern dependent. This produces the center position effect that

was originally inquired about.

The difference between 50's and modern is the positioning of the capacitors.

The difference between dependent and independent volume controls in the center position is regulated by the pot

legs that the switch wires and the pickup wires are connected to.

Both 50's and modern can be connected either way. This creates the four basic wiring setups that most 2 humbucker,

three way toggle, 2 vol, 2 tone guitars are based on.

Modern dependent (stock), Modern independent, 50's dependent, 50's independent:

http://www.dominocs.com/AshBassGuitar/WireLibrary-Gibson.html

Willy

To change from dependent to independent volume control is very easy. I do it to all my guitars. I get an infinite amount of blending options that way.

Looking from the bottom of the pot, the left lug is ground, middle is toggle, and right is PU and tone pot.

To get independent volume controls, make that (left to right): ground (no change), PU and tone pot, and toggle. All you do is switch wires on the right and middle lugs, takes a minute or two.

Archived