Gibson Brands Forums

weird! 1992 Gibson J-185 Koa With Nick Lucas AND Maltese Cross

funkymusic

I cannot find this exact guitar anywhere, and the serial number project says this is production number 1. This has piqued my interest! These guitars are easy to find with snowflake inlays and this and that, but I cannot find an exact same model. Here are some pics, serial number is 92062001

I can take more epics as needed, but the guitar doesn't have a custom shop label anywhere. Its weird that I can't find anything exactly like it!

I very much look forward to hearing what you fine people have to say!

post-69002-097694500 1417792793_thumb.jpg

post-69002-071539800 1417792804_thumb.jpg

post-69002-046009500 1417792850_thumb.jpg

I cannot find this exact guitar anywhere, and the serial number project says this is production number 1. This has piqued my interest! These guitars are easy to find with snowflake inlays and this and that, but I cannot find an exact same model. Here are some pics, serial number is 92062001

I can take more epics as needed, but the guitar doesn't have a custom shop label anywhere. Its weird that I can't find anything exactly like it!

I very much look forward to hearing what you fine people have to say!

is the label signed?

I don't see where it's signed. It does say it's from Bozeman Montana. None of this adds up to me. Unfortunately, I don't know what it's worth, but it's definitely for sale when I find out. Unfortunately, I know much more about the electric guitar side of Gibson. :)

I don't see where it's signed. It does say it's from Bozeman Montana. None of this adds up to me. Unfortunately, I don't know what it's worth, but it's definitely for sale when I find out. Unfortunately, I know much more about the electric guitar side of Gibson. :)

Hogeye will know about this guitar..

I've been casually cataloguing J-185s and other guitars that interest me for some time.

Seeing this post reminded me that I had some photos of a similar one. This is listed in my files as a 1991, but you can see it's rosewood rather than koa, the bridge is similar and not well-shaped, but carries different inlays, and has a NL headstock inlay:

91GibsonJ-185RosewoodNLstylesfrontincase_zps8576f54e.jpg

91GibsonJ-185_rosewoodNL-front-det_zps00a72372.jpg

So it appears some of these rolled out in 1991-2.

Fred

I've been casually cataloguing J-185s and other guitars that interest me for some time.

Seeing this post reminded me that I had some photos of a similar one. This is listed in my files as a 1991, but you can see it's rosewood rather than koa, the bridge is similar and not well-shaped, but carries different inlays, and has a NL headstock inlay:

91GibsonJ-185RosewoodNLstylesfrontincase_zps8576f54e.jpg

91GibsonJ-185_rosewoodNL-front-det_zps00a72372.jpg

So it appears some of these rolled out in 1991-2.

Fred

Thats a Nice one too... I seem to remember buying a few from a dealer in Montana back then.. J200s, sj200s, J185s j1500s , J2000s and especially Ajs.. they were all different than the normal runs of what was being put out.. I do remember buying a Birdseye AJ from 1992 from out of Montana .. ice t burst.. the degree of the neck was laid back , the bridge was higher than normal.. the tone was there and it was loud.. I did buy a employee made J185 in Blonde that has all J2000 Gold and green abalone inlays.. .. My favorite years for Guitars from the Gibson acoustic division.. 1992 to 1998.. they did alot of off the wall guitars..Nice ones too..

Archived