Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG G-310 1998 Korean Plywood Body Misc

Lefty Bill

Hello.. I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading topics for several days.

I recently bought a used 1998 (determined by checking the serial number*) left hand Korean SG version, and I'm curious if anyone might recognize some of the various characteristics of this particular sample.

I'm curious as to what may not be original, or how much hardware is original. I suspect that everything is original except the pot knobs.

I've been looking for a 1997-1999 Epiphone catalog to try to find an image of the Ebony G-310 model of that age range, but haven't found an actual picture yet.

The serial number appears to be marked at only one place, the neck plate (bolt on neck). No other info is on the plate. There are no stickers or additional markings that I can see, although I haven't removed the neck.

I also own a 2008/09 left hand Ebony G-310 model (from China) which I believe is 100% original (still has the protective plastic film over the pickguard and controls cover).

I've read much of the history of Epiphone, including the MIJ, MIK and MIC (made in L-country) changes that have occurred in the past, and realize that many changes in manufacturing techniques have taken place. I've also read about the counterfeits, but this Korean model definitely doesn't have a MDF (fiberboard) body.

There are numerous differences between the Korean and Chinese models, but the most noticeable differences are cosmetic.

I'm faily certain the "speed" knobs aren't original since they're numbered backwards.

The Korean G-310:

About 1" shorter overall length, although same scale of 24.75"

Has GIBSON on the neck/truss rod cover

The Epiphone name across the headstock is tilted more from horizontal

All the small screws are black, not bright plating, although the larger hardware is chrome (before change to nickel)

The controls cover has 6 screws

The separation of the bridge and tailpiece/stopbar is about 1-5/16" at the center

The position of the switch is closer to the volume knob

The front strap button is located at the base of the neck, not on the neck plate

The sculpting of the top face of the body has wider bevels (actually chamfering)

The open humbucker-type pickups have 2 rows of plain poles (no screw slots in one row)

*The O prefix of the serial number (stamped into the neck plate) indicates the Choice Factory in Korea, and the next 4 characters indicate year 1998 and April 04 (9804nnnn).

The first character is definitely the letter O (not zero as the zeros are smaller).

Directions to pictures would be great, but I look forward to any comments from the knowledgeable members here.

Thanks,

Bill

I could ask millions of questions,

but the best place to start will be with pictures.

Go to Epiphone Lounge, the "Do-it-Yourself" Thread is in the top 4

threads. Click on it. you'll see that the FIRST TOPIC covered is

"How to Post Pictures". There are three different tutorials, covering

Photobucket or Imageshack as hosting sites for your pics.

Post them pics when you figure it out!!!!! Any problems, come back -we'll help

you figure out any glitches! That's what we do around here - HELP.

And we make fun of each other. :rolleyes:

AND OF COURSE, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!

Now you don't have to lurk in the shadows!!!!

Perhaps one of us can score a link to a 1998 Epi catalog/guide,

like THIS ONE created by EPI Forum member "RTH":

http://epiphone.3house.com/1998.html

What exactly are you looking for? Just which parts are original? There are no hardware differences between the early and later models except for the pickups on the very early models. The first few years had Vantage covered humbuckers, but they were pretty cruddy. After the move to China, Epiphone claimed to be using solid woods instead of laminates, but I havent seen any actual proof of that. Other than that, everything is pretty much the same with the possible exception of the TRC and maybe some internal components (post Korean).

What exactly are you looking for? Just which parts are original? There are no hardware differences between the early and later models except for the pickups on the very early models. The first few years had Vantage covered humbuckers, but they were pretty cruddy. After the move to China, Epiphone claimed to be using solid woods instead of laminates, but I havent seen any actual proof of that. Other than that, everything is pretty much the same with the possible exception of the TRC and maybe some internal components (post Korean).

Thanks for the Wiki and your other guides, RTH.. I found them very informative while researching over the last couple of weeks.

What I'm looking for is a catalog picture of a 1997-1999 Ebony SG G-310.. I don't mind buying some catalogs from eBay to get some pictures of models of those years.

There are differences.. maybe some that you're not aware of, though. The small details in my original post reflect the differences I see on the Korean model when compared to the 2008 model.

I can say for sure, that my 2008/09 Chinese G-310 SG has a solid wood body (3 sections joined I believe), as the glue joints are visible with the right angle of light reflection. The glue has shrunk slightly, or the joints have otherwise become detectible from the filler or base coat of the finish (I have a fairly good eye for such details after working in automotive refinishing for a number of years).

I don't know woods, but I had the neck off to document the butt end markings, and the body is solid wood.

Then again, I've seen UK website ads that specify alder/mahogany ply construction for apparently, new G-310 models.

In the past couple of weeks, I've discovered quite a few differences in certain models over the span of a couple decades.. and there seem to be many that have taken place with the G-310. I saw a forum remark the other day describing a G-310 (or other non-G-400) with a set (not screwed) neck, and have stumbled across numerous pictures of various cosmetic changes, typically on the headstock.

Some tuners have names on them, others are plain.

The "Crown" trademark appears on some, but not on newer models.

I think it was Wikipedia that stated the early chrome plating was changed to nickel (about 1990, maybe). The Korean model has chrome, the China model has nickel.

The newer models have the "improved" ToneLock bridge and tailpiece/stopbar.

I suppose some may be wondering: So What? or Just play the damn thing.

For those that suggested linking/posting photos, I'll try doing that in the next couple of days.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks for the confirmation on the solid wood construction. I have a 1994 G-310 lam body. Epiphone likes to use word-play in their descriptions when it comes to woods. "Mahogany" sometimes means laminate and "Solid Mahogany" means actual solid wood construction. This may also vary with the retailer, which may be the reason some still have it listed as laminate.

I forgot about the switch-over to nickel. Good catch. And I had no idea about the new bridges...although I cant imagine what the improvements might be. The lock-tones seem pretty straight forward and I dont recall there being any complaints about their stability.

As for catalogue pics, I have 1989 and 2003 images of the G-310. The 2003 catalouge is stil available at the Epiphone website in the Download section if you havent already found it. The 1989 version is very different than the later models. It has the open-book headstock and the Vantage covered pickups.

I know that the earlier models had the Epiphone logo straight across the headstock instead of on an angle. I'm not sure when this changed. My 1994 has a straight logo.

There were a couple other G-310 limited run models as well. There was a custom, but I'm not sure what the "custom-ness" of it was. Possibly an odd color like blue or maybe a flame veneer. And there was also the Pitch Black with all black hardware...oh, and the Emily The Strange G-310.

Not sure about tuners with names on them. Mine has the plain die-cast tuners. Fortunately they work well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi..this update is to provide images of the differences regarding the 1998 and 2008 lefty SG G-310 models, mentioned at the start of this thread.

The pics are uploaded to Flickr, and a link is provided.

Headstocks:

5741875327_b7d292a1ef_m.jpg

Bodies:

5742428006_0bf9af4898_m.jpg

Other images with descriptions: strap buttons, back plate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52345158@N03/?saved=1

I'm not disappointed that the 1998 Korean SG I bought recently has black screws which may have been added by the previous owner, and I'll likely just leave the black screws on it, although I may buy a new chrome set for the next owner.

I've located the correct speed knobs, which are numbered in reverse to the more common counter-clockwise numbered knobs.

I bought a couple new Gibson switch plates with white script on black because I think the original switchplates with GOLD script look stupid on a black guitar with chrome or nickel hardware.

I gotta wonder why anyone would think gold looks appropriate or good on these models.

I haven't nailed down when the truss rod covers started using the SG marking instead of the vertical GIBSON marking, but it seems that their use is almost random.

I'm still looking for 1997-1999 catalogs or catalog pics of the SG G-310 Ebony models, if anyone knows.

Regards,

Bill

Ah, yes. I forgot about some of the little slight differences. The Gibson TRC indicates 1990's-early 2000's. The neck plates changed quite often as well. Some just said "Epiphone", some just had a serial number. some had both and some were blank. I dont know if it includes the G-310, but some neck plates had deep engravings with the logo, serial and some other stuff. They were the more fancy plates.

The screws should all be silver from the factory. Like you said, they were probably changed. AFAIK, the only G-310 with black screws was the G-310 Pitch Black with all black hardware.

Another slight difference, like you mentioned earlier, was the headstock logo. I believe they are usually MOP inlays, but sometimes they are screen printed. Again, I'm not sure if this includes the G-310. Its hard to tell from your pics. Earlier models had the logo straight across the head instead of on an angle. I tried to take a pic of mine, but my phone is low on juice. I'll try again in a little while after it has charged a bit.

Here you go. 1994 G-310 (Samick, Korea)

g310h.jpg

g310full.jpg

Nevermind that dirty pickguard. I put silver metal foil on it. It doesnt show up quite right. The pickups are vintage DiMarzios - X2N (bridge) and Super-2 (neck), but originally came with Vantage covered humbuckers. The neck plate only has the serial number and "made in korea" on it. The body is laminate. Probably mahogany or alder/mahogany. The headstock inlay is MOP.

Oh, this is my guitar that I keep at work, hence the wood pallate.

I've got a copy of the 1999 catalog. It has the ebony G-310 pictured in it. I can scan it and post it if you're still wanting to see a catalog pic. It's hard to see too many fine details in the pic as it's not very big, but the Epiphone logo does appear to be more straight than angled. The body material is just listed as "Alder".

I've got a copy of the 1999 catalog. It has the ebony G-310 pictured in it. I can scan it and post it if you're still wanting to see a catalog pic. It's hard to see too many fine details in the pic as it's not very big, but the Epiphone logo does appear to be more straight than angled. The body material is just listed as "Alder".

I appreciate your Super offer, but you needn't go to any effort.. if/when I find some catalogs, I'll pick them up just for grins.

Like you said, there aren't many details that can be seen from a catalog or product flyer picture.. certainly nothing specific about the back side.

The only definite confirmations regarding minor changes would likely have only been noticed by another owner.

Since this particular model was very well cared for, the fit and finish is in remarkably good condition. The only thing this one actually needs is a set of saddles.. the existing ones have deep grooves under the fine strings, to the point of binding which will likely result in fairly short string life.

I don't object to reshaping the saddles with files, but a new set would maintain originality, with a better string height over the bridge body.

Regards,

Bill

Ah, yes. I forgot about some of the little slight differences. The Gibson TRC indicates 1990's-early 2000's. The neck plates changed quite often as well. Some just said "Epiphone", some just had a serial number. some had both and some were blank. I dont know if it includes the G-310, but some neck plates had deep engravings with the logo, serial and some other stuff. They were the more fancy plates.

The screws should all be silver from the factory. Like you said, they were probably changed. AFAIK, the only G-310 with black screws was the G-310 Pitch Black with all black hardware.

Another slight difference, like you mentioned earlier, was the headstock logo. I believe they are usually MOP inlays, but sometimes they are screen printed. Again, I'm not sure if this includes the G-310. Its hard to tell from your pics. Earlier models had the logo straight across the head instead of on an angle. I tried to take a pic of mine, but my phone is low on juice. I'll try again in a little while after it has charged a bit.

Thanks again.. I've seen examples of the pearl Epiphone trademark name and the screened-print name markings across the tops of headstocks.

I found the term "pearloid" used, which doesn't sound to me, like an actual inlay, but instead more like a plastic sticker covered with clearcoat.

The Epiphone tradenames on both of the G-310 headstocks I posted have the looky-like-pearl appearance, but I suspect that they aren't really inlays, but it's possible.

Your 1994 model follow-up pic shows the pearl effect more clearly.

Yep, I've seen some fancy neck plates that resemble struck coins with raised features, background texture and additional text.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks again.. I've seen examples of the pearl Epiphone trademark name and the screened-print name markings across the tops of headstocks.

I found the term "pearloid" used, which doesn't sound to me, like an actual inlay, but instead more like a plastic sticker covered with clearcoat.

The Epiphone tradenames on both of the G-310 headstocks I posted have the looky-like-pearl appearance, but I suspect that they aren't really inlays, but it's possible.

Your 1994 model follow-up pic shows the pearl effect more clearly.

Yep, I've seen some fancy neck plates that resemble struck coins with raised features, background texture and additional text.

Regards,

Bill

I'm not sure of the thickness. I figured pearloid just meant that it wasnt real MOP. The logo on my G-310 has a really dark spot running through it kind of randomly like MOP might have. I would imagine its the same stuff they use for the imitation MOP inlays, but thinner.

Archived