Gibson Brands Forums

Wax potting gibson les paul deluxe mini humbuckers.

pauloon

Problem=pups squealing like a stuck pig,yep...the nasty feedback.

solution=wax potting?

Problem=been told minis are difficult to pot because the bobbins are ''delicate''..?

Anybody had a similar problem?.

Anybody wax potted mini humbuckers?,if so what was the outcome?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

I've also put this on the gear page,apologies for the two threads.

Problem=pups squealing like a stuck pig,yep...the nasty feedback.

solution=wax potting?

Problem=been told minis are difficult to pot because the bobbins are ''delicate''..?

Anybody had a similar problem?.

Anybody wax potted mini humbuckers?,if so what was the outcome?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

I've also put this on the gear page,apologies for the two threads.

ok, find a competent shop that will wax pot them delicately then. they need doing if your having issues with them.

Yeah, I had to do that, to my '76 Deluxe, a few years ago. The pickups

had become so microphpnic, I literally could not plug it in, without it squealing,

even at moderate volume. So, I sent the pickups to a qualified repair person,

to get rewound, thinking there was something a lot more serious, going on. He told

me they didn't need "rewound," and that he simply wax potted them (after testing them),

and the results were astounding. The pickups had never sounded that good, before the

wax potting. An outstanding, and economical "fix!" [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Thanks guys,appreciate the advice,

after a zillion phone calls i've found somebody who has wax potted 'minis' before so i'll try him,

many have said that at normal wax potting temperature(150 degrees),the bobbins would/could ''''melt'''!!,

The 'supposed' pickup guru in the U.K. (Who i won't name) has said this,

anyhoo i'll go ahead with the geezer who has done them before and i'll update with the outcome,

Thanks once again.

Thanks guys,appreciate the advice,

after a zillion phone calls i've found somebody who has wax potted 'minis' before so i'll try him,

many have said that at normal wax potting temperature(150 degrees),the bobbins would/could ''''melt'''!!,

The 'supposed' pickup guru in the U.K. (Who i won't name) has said this,

anyhoo i'll go ahead with the geezer who has done them before and i'll update with the outcome,

Thanks once again.

[thumbup] fantastic

• 3 weeks later...

[thumbup] fantastic

Good news guys........'minis' potted......and sounding superb . [biggrin] . .............so if in need, find a competent 'potter'.......and fear not the horror stories of wax potting mini humbuckers!!

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Paul.

Sons gig last night....oct 8 2011.

100_0871.jpg

wring that neck...

100_0892.jpg

crowd seem to like it! (pub)

100_0888.jpg

Good news guys........'minis' potted......and sounding superb . [biggrin] . .............so if in need, find a competent 'potter'.......and fear not the horror stories of wax potting mini humbuckers!!

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Paul.

Cheers! Great it worked out [thumbup]

Awesome, glad it worked out well! Also glad to see some other Vox users around :D

Yep,vox are making great amps again jeff,......Don't really need pedals (depending on style of music),but if you get the chance run an electro-harmonix-english muffin through it....ORGASMIC!

Yep,vox are making great amps again jeff,......Don't really need pedals (depending on style of music),but if you get the chance run an electro-harmonix-english muffin through it....ORGASMIC!

Hmmm you've piqued my interest, just got this handwired about a month and a half ago and I am in the process of becoming a pedal whore haha.

Archived