Gibson Brands Forums

2009 G400 factory "Upgraded Pickups"

Stewie

I am doing a swap, a leftie G400 for the same guitar in a rightie. I want a guitar for my left handed Grandson, and the guy was trying to play left handed due to a hand injury, but has since had an operation to correct the problem and it worked. Mine is a 2007 and his is a 2009. He mentioned that his original invoice has "upgraded pickups" on it, and he said they are Gibson pickups. It was brand new when he purchased it and not modified.

Does anyone have any information on an upgraded version of the G400. It was purchased in Canada and would have been direct from Gibson/Epiphone to the shop where he purchased it. It could have been a special edition. The only reference I have on pickups in 2009 is the change from chrome to nickle on the HBs. In the pictures it has the 61 pickguard.

Any help would be appreciated

If you don't have access to the original invoice, I would suggest you contact either Yorkville Sound (of Traynor fame, and Gibson/Epiphone distributor for Canada) or Long & McQuade here in Canada. L&M have stores in Canada's largest cities and run an online operation as well (L&M is also a Yorkville company) and they have special editions of Gibson and Epiphone models made exclusively for Canada.

Either of these sources should be able to help you out. They are usually helpful (at least in my own limited experience).

I've never heard of Epi SG's coming stock with Gibson HB's, except for the Elitist series. The simplest way to know for sure is to loosen the strings, unscrew the 4 corner screws, flip them over, and see what it says on the base plate. Have him take pics and email them to you. This is standard procedure, and required for guitars that don't normally come with high quality PU's.

I've never heard of Epi SG's coming stock with Gibson HB's, except for the Elitist series. The simplest way to know for sure is to loosen the strings, unscrew the 4 corner screws, flip them over, and see what it says on the base plate. Have him take pics and email them to you. This is standard procedure, and required for guitars that don't normally come with high quality PU's.

I talked to the owner of the store and he said that there was a picup upgrade but they were still Epi pickups.

Thanks for the replies

Actually we made the trade and the guitar has Gibson pickups. I saw the invoice and it was purchase with the Gibson pickup upgrade, which the previous owner had installed. I am not sure which pickups were installed. I will pull them and try to see what they are.

Archived