Gibson Brands Forums

Special 1 mods finished (PIC HEAVY!)

swamprock

Ok... it's a day off, and I'm bored, so let's upgrade the Special I in Worn Cherry that I picked up a month ago...

Here she is stock:

special1.jpg

I picked up some generic Chinese Sperzel-type locking tuners from GFS, a Graphtech Tusq nut from an eBay seller, and a couple of .47uF Russian PIO caps from another eBay seller. The pots seems decent, and the P-90s in the guitar are great, so I'll leave those in.

First off, let's remove the old tuners and nut, shape the Tusq nut, and ream out the holes so that the new tuners will fit.

sp1mod1.jpg

Next, we'll fill in the old bottom tuner screw holes with toothpick tips dipped in wood glue, and fill in the top holes with crayon wax that matches the finish (or gets it close, anyway).

sp1mod2.jpg

After a couple of hours of letting the glue set up a bit, let's install the new tuners and nut.

sp1mod3.jpg

sp1mod4.jpg

Now we'll attack the tone cap. The pots are long-shaft Alphas, and they were obviously just laying around judging by the eight locking washers in the cavity.

sp1mod5.jpg

Let's remove the old cap and solder the new one in. I've used these same PIO caps from the same seller for all of my modded guitars. I love the tone range that they open up.

sp1mod6.jpg

Let's put her back together, string her up with some EB 10s, play her for a bit, and let her sit for a day to see if we need to adjust her truss rod.

sp1mod7.jpg

These mods have improved on an already great and highly affordable guitar. She sounded great stock, and now she sounds even better.

Nice work!! I've got those same caps in most all my guitars (bought a batch of 200 from Russia years ago), and they are killer!

Thanks. Yeah I was very surprised the first time I tried them. Rather than spring for something expensive, I figured I try these instead. Now I use them in all of my mods, including humbuckers (.22uF). Great tone variation for the price, when coupled with the right pot(s).

I'm waiting for some Gold bell hat knobs and a Graph-tech NV-2 6MM bridge to come in for my Gothic Les Paul Studio. They should all be in by the end of the week. I took the pickguard off of it which I never really cared for. When I'm done modding my LP I'll post some photos as well.

I'm waiting for some Gold bell hat knobs and a Graph-tech NV-2 6MM bridge to come in for my Gothic Les Paul Studio. They should all be in by the end of the week. I took the pickguard off of it which I never really cared for. When I'm done modding my LP I'll post some photos as well.

There's a Goth Studio being sold locally for a really good price. It's an older, thinner one, but I may just jump on it for another strip and rebuild project.

There's a Goth Studio being sold locally for a really good price. It's an older, thinner one, but I may just jump on it for another strip and rebuild project.

IMO, the stock Alnico Humbuckers on them are really great but cosmetically , they could use some changes if you're a old fart like me. LOL.

• 3 years later...

I like it!

Look at the one i built up. Chrome pickup covers, pickguard, intonation style bridge and witch hat knobs. Then i added an LE headstock cover. I plays alot better then it did stock because of the adjustable intonation

post-77720-012404700 1465617492_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi Swamprock - nice work ! I too have this guitar in TV yellow. Bought it at MF for $100.00 delivered.

I have also replaced the nut w a white Tusq unit and installed some Grover tuners from another project. I didn't use the toothpick trick though. I just used extra tuner screws to fill them. My guitar's problem is that it is constantly going out of adjustment. The other night I adjusted the action and it was perfect. Set it aside to let it acclimate to the adjustments and it held. I then put it back in it's new comfy HSC and the next night plugged it in and had open string buzz on E, A and D strings. So I raised the bridge on that side and kinda got rid of it. But the action is back to med high. Have you experienced this on yer Special ?

The way it plays now I could never play clean. It needs to have gain. This is good and bad. Almost every song has a section that has clear open string notes ( think of the bridge in Eric Clapton's Badge and you'll get my drift) And this guitar doesn't cut it on that song. Too buzzy on the open strings.

I should mention that I run Daddario flat wounds in 11/50 and have ran these strings for years on all of my electrics.

My next plan of attack is to remove the neck and inspect the pocket for poor machining in that critical area.

Your thoughts ?

• 2 weeks later...

I did some mods on my most recent acquisition, an Epi LP Special II. I put a GFS XTrem, a pickguard from eBay made specifically for Epi LP Special IIs, Gotoh tuners and an unbleached bone nut from Stew-Mac, plus stickers from Redbubble.com on it. My touch isn't as expert as SwampRock's, tho

EpiFront1_zpsttiq9tfd.jpg

EpiBack1_zpshtklu314.jpg

Archived