Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Byrdland with mismatching serial numbers

Raffael

First of all, it is a very nice-looking example! Looks 'straight-up' to me from the pics. The neck/body joint looks a little wierd...???

Secondly, I find it hard to believe that you just noticed the different serial #'s about 3 years after purchasing? That would have been the first thing that I would have noticed "if" spending big bucks on a vintage guitar....Jes Saying.

It is anyones guess at this point, why they don,t match!

First of all, it is a very nice-looking example! Looks 'straight-up' to me from the pics. The neck/body joint looks a little wierd...???

Secondly, I find it hard to believe that you just noticed the different serial #'s about 3 years after purchasing? That would have been the first thing that I would have noticed "if" spending big bucks on a vintage guitar....Jes Saying.

It is anyones guess at this point, why they don,t match!

My friend who bought the guitar had it for 2 years, I have it for half a year now.

The reason why we didn't noticed it was because -as you said- the guitar looks straight up and it includes a letter by the seller of V&R in which he confirms that its all original. He refers to the serial number on the label.

Of course I saw the roughness of the neck joint but - as cjsinla said - you have that crackling very often at old ES Style guitars.

I'm contacting V&R anyway, but I posted here to ask if maybe someone knows an explanation for the phenomenon.

A re-neck appears to be the likely explanation here. Unless it can be proven that it was done early on by Gibson, that's going to affect the value of the guitar (and I'd say it affects it to some degree regardless).

I share Rod's surprise that it took this long for the mis-matched serial numbers to be noticed. I guess there's a lesson there.

I've only done business with V&R one time, and I doubt that I would buy from them again (different issue, but an issue nonetheless).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is any question that the neck was reset/replaced. The wavy line on the guitar top where the body meets the neck, and that shot from the rear of the heel really shows it is off quite a bit. Since the necks are glued in, a lot of heat has to be applied to soften the old glue to get the neck off before straightening or replacing so that can effect the finish as well. Since the serial's don't match the simple answer would be that the neck was replaced entirely, thus the number don't match and the joint is funky.

As long as it plays well, and stays in tune, just enjoy it. Don't think it will have much value as a "vintage" axe.

Archived