Gibson Brands Forums

Strings on a new EJ-200ce

If you look just 13 threads down from yours you will find this very question has been asked and fairly comprehensively answered.

i've been using D'Addario 80/20 "brass" strings on my super jumbo & phosphor bronzes on my dreadnaught for a long time, with good satisfaction on both.

the 80/20s will squeak like a daddy-rat though, so you probably won't like them.

i'm fixing to order a JDL "bridge doctor" (to correct a bellied soundboard) and bone nut slotted for 9's (to reduce string-pull) for my Ej200.

My Mrs. surprised me with it for Valentines day a few yrs ago, & I LOVE the guitar, ('04 Ej200 VSB) but the belly has GOT to go !!!

once the "bridge dr." and new nut are installed, i'm going to try to find an equivalent to "cobalt" strings to put on it.

Thanks Honey !!

GarysCam124.jpg

i'm fixing to order a JDL "bridge doctor" (to correct a bellied soundboard) and bone nut slotted for 9's (to reduce string-pull) for my Ej200.

Bellying is absolutely normal. I think it was Norman Blake who once said never trust a Martin without as belly. Have you tried humidifying the heck out of the guitar? But those Bridge Doctors do work and are part of the survival kit if you own an old 12 string.

Have you tried humidifying the heck out of the guitar? Also strings wound on a round core (not to be confused with round wound) will exert less tension. I cannot even imagine how thin a guitar strung with 9s will sound.

Archived