Gibson Brands Forums

Whats not original on my R7 Goldtop & What year is it?

wolfman2020

I just bought a Gold Top serial # 7 0032 and I could use some help figuring out what is or isn't original on it and the year it is, I have looked at quite a few and mine isn't exactly like any particular year I have seen. It looks like its either a 2000 or a 2010 from the serial number to me but I could use some input to be sure. It has R7 in the control cavity but it doesn't have Bumble Bee caps like most I have seen, the pots have Gibson on them and the caps are the small brownish gold dipped style. It has a long neck tenion and patent applied for stickers on the pickups only, I have seen some with the PAF sticker and a Burst Bucker sticker too but mine has the paf only. The case it came with has blue interior like the old 80s protector case.Any help would be appreciated,

• 2 months later...

Looks just like my 1998 R7. It had that rose tint switch washer. The tuner knobs are that same green tint too. The rounded trapezoid markers too. I'll bet it's a 2000 R7. They are supposed to have a RFID chip in the neck joint. You can go to an authorized Gibson shop I think and have them read it for verification. Mine came with the custom shop branded case.

• 4 weeks later...

The serial number refers in our database also to a 1957 Les Paul Goldtop, in antique gold, with nickel hardware, from the year 2000.

The specs of this model back then were as follows:

New Gibson fully adjustable, ABR-1 bridge for greater sustaining power

-Height adjustable stopbar tailpiece

-Two ’57 classic PAF reissue humbucking pickups

-Each pickup has separate tone and volume controls

-Three position toggle switch activates either or both pickups

-Tone can be preset to any desired quality

-No dead noted,, just clear sustaining tone in all positions

No buildup of synthetic tone or feedback

-22 fret fingerboard

-Body size: length 17 ¼ “; width 12 ¾”; scale length 24 ¾ “

-Gibson’s adjustable truss rod neck construction