Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 1937 Gibson L-00

tvguit

That's a beauty, John!

For some reason, it looks almost just like my L-OO Legend....

I pretty sure stewmac sells a variety of retro tuner post bushings. Don't know what the post and headstock hole diameter are on your tuners, however.

Those were the only pics I had with me right now but I can get some more later today or tomorrow. That would be great if you had some like this! I believe they only used them from '36 to '37. I would be happy to toss a couple bucks your way if have the right part.

John, You should be able to straighten that tuner, but you may have to sacrifice the button in the process. Almost looks like someone has already gong after it with some heat.

It looks to me like the Grover part you are missing may be that funny threaded bushings I've seen on some of old Grovers. Have you pulled one of the strips off yet to see exactly what the missing part is? The washer under the hex nut makes me think that's what it may be. If so, it may not be quite so easy to find.

John, You should be able to straighten that tuner, but you may have to sacrifice the button in the process. Almost looks like someone has already gong after it with some heat.

It looks to me like the Grover part you are missing may be that funny threaded bushings I've seen on some of old Grovers. Have you pulled one of the strips off yet to see exactly what the missing part is? The washer under the hex nut makes me think that's what it may be. If so, it may not be quite so easy to find.

Just found a guy in Nova Scotia that has the part! He said that the bushings that are on here aren't correct and the right ones are brass and really rare. Apparently they didn't stay on well. Too bad!

Just found a guy in Nova Scotia that has the part! He said that the bushings that are on here aren't correct and the right ones are brass and really rare. Apparently they didn't stay on well. Too bad!

That would make sense. Those tuners actually look to be brass to me as well, which is pretty rare, I think. That hex nut bushing must be a later Grover thing.

Those 12:1 tuners are pretty coarse!

If you give me a sketch or a sample part I could make you some brass bushings

If you give me a sketch or a sample part I could make you some brass bushings

You can do that Dave? That would be amazing. I don't know what they should have looked like but I'll ask this knowledgeable luthier in NS if he has a good picture/dimensions.

You can do that Dave? That would be amazing. I don't know what they should have looked like but I'll ask this knowledgeable luthier in NS if he has a good picture/dimensions.

No problem. Let me know when you get a sample or sketch.

Saw these on Ebay. Definitely look newer but the bushing may be your design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-Gold-plated-Waverly-Tuners-EXTREMELY-RARE-Martin-Guild-Kay/181141926764?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8152280533326017046%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D390604944515%26#ht_314wt_1179

That pretty much looks like the knurled press-in bushings I have on my 60's-era Sta Tites, except that looks like brass rather than nickel plate. Since it's a press-in, I never figured out why they went with the hex nut look. Some Grover bushings have round shoulders (much like Kluson ferrules), other have hex, and I swear I've seen some that are hex nut with threaded barrels designed to actually lock into the tuner body.

It would be nice if Tvguit would pull one of those and show a photo. He's got my curiosity going.....

edit: This is the one I was thinking of.

My link

Archived