Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Input Jack Fix (Pics)

deeman

I'm kinda new to this board and have not posted much. I've wanted to share this for a little while but I just bought a house and my gear was in storage for a while. Well I got back my stuff today and wanted to share this with you.

12 years ago I purchased a new Epi SG G-400. I was 18 and playing in what became a fairly popular band over the following 5 years. I was a poor college student at the time and any money the band made went to recording and overhead costs so my epi was my only guitar. We played a LOT of shows, at least twice a week and of course could not afford a hard case. We had a high energy show and we would run around the stage and swing around our guitars.

At some point I noticed the wood around the input jack (which as we know is on the top of the guitar and perpendicular) was cracking. Since we ran around stage a lot, both myself and bandmates would step on my cable and that would yank the input jack to the point where it completely broke out the wood around it so there was nothing to secure it to. I decided to take the input housing from a strat-style guitar, gut out the wood around the input jack and attached the new housing. This was probably about 10 years ago and this guitar remained my only guitar until 2006 when i got a Gibson Les Paul and the SG became the backup.

IMG_0905_zps7e4b6fd8.jpg

IMG_0906_zpsf07be558.jpg

IMG_0907_zps2ba6e8f8.jpg

IMG_0908_zps7a19d8bc.jpg

IMG_0909_zpsf32da386.jpg

IMG_0910_zpsd1706239.jpg

I included a picture that shows a fix i did (on my own) after the neck broke off the guitar. I was practicing spinning the guitar over my shoulder and my srap lock (screw and all) slipped out and the guitar landed head first, breaking the neck. You can barely tell now and the action is still great.

I also tried to show some of the battle scars. There's a nice gouge on the fingerboard which also resulted from a guitar spin. The bass player in my band swung his bass headstock first into my fingerboard.

I'm sharing this to see if anyone else has ever done this type of thing. I've searched the internet and did not see anything, nor have I ever seen anyone play an SG with this type of input.

I can take more pictures in the morning with better light if there is any interest, figured i'd leave this for ya'll.

Cheers

All I can say is "wow". So, was it similar to this?

Here's a +1 for your ingenuity on the fix. Have you thought about going wireless, to eliminate the stepped-on-cord issue?

All I can say is "wow". So, was it similar to this?

Here's a +1 for your ingenuity on the fix. Have you thought about going wireless, to eliminate the stepped-on-cord issue?

I did have a wireless system, but didn't like thee way it sounded so I rarely used it.

The spin was similar to the youtube video. Just imaging the neck snapping off when it hit the ground and that was me.

+1 from me too just for sharing that. What the hell kind of drugs were you guys on jumping around and slingin' yer gits at each other? I hope your not doing that to your Les Paul....

I wish i could blame my idiotic behaviour on drugs, but I cannot. We were clean and stupid. Very very stupid. I of course would never spin the les paul around. Hell, I stopped spinning the Epiphone around once I fixed it.

Archived