Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Broadway tailpiece upgrade

abitet

Hello Guys!

I'd like to change the frequensator tailpiece to a trapeze style one!

Has anybody experience about it?

I cant find a fit one which has same hole positions for the broadway body. Maybe there isnt a fit one I must modify its holes. What do you think?

Just a question here...

Is there a reason you want to get rid of a traditional Epi specialty for something else?

There was a reason why for the Frequensator that makes it part of the guitar as a whole...

Yeah, I've switched a metal "tube" bridge out that was a swap from a wood bridge - with a Gibbie style tuneomatic bridge on a '50s archtop but in retrospect... that's over 35 years ago and I wonder why.

m

I seriously doubt you'll find another tailpiece with holes that match those that match the frequensator. You'll either need to re-drill the new tailpiece or drill into the wood of the guitar.

I did this on my Peerless Korean Broadway to install a Japanese L-5 style tailpiece, and it really enhanced the tone, adding brightness, definition and sustain. Plus I like how it looks:

EpiBroadway.jpg

Just a question here...

Is there a reason you want to get rid of a traditional Epi specialty for something else?

There was a reason why for the Frequensator that makes it part of the guitar as a whole...

Yeah, I've switched a metal "tube" bridge out that was a swap from a wood bridge - with a Gibbie style tuneomatic bridge on a '50s archtop but in retrospect... that's over 35 years ago and I wonder why.

m

I want to change it to modify its tone to more be like an L-5.

I seriously doubt you'll find another tailpiece with holes that match those that match the frequensator. You'll either need to re-drill the new tailpiece or drill into the wood of the guitar.

I did this on my Peerless Korean Broadway to install a Japanese L-5 style tailpiece, and it really enhanced the tone, adding brightness, definition and sustain. Plus I like how it looks:

EpiBroadway.jpg

Yeah, beautifull one! Dont you know where i could get one?

EpiBroadway.jpg

very nice !!

i've been test-driving my 1st freakysator quite heavily on my '62/50 Sheraton & I LOVE it...the guitar "rings-out" better than any acoustic I have.

M.....my DeArmond has the rosewood bridge & a Hagstrom "Harp" style tailpiece, I wouldn't change it for anything !!

Yeah, I was noticing the difference between the broadway and modded broadway also included a metal vs a wooden bridge. I'd say that would almost certainly do far more to change tone than a tailpiece. But then, I guess a lotta tone is subjective and any change such as this also tends to change how one plays that also changes "tone."

My old '50s cheapie archtop, btw, has had three bridges and still just the cheapie tailpiece. Each brought its own special sound regardless nothing else changed. A wood bridge, a properly curved tubular metal bridge and a tuneamatic version. For what it's worth, the latter remains.

m

I did this on my Peerless Korean Broadway to install a Japanese L-5 style tailpiece, and it really enhanced the tone, adding brightness, definition and sustain.

Obviously you changed the wooden bridge for a Tune-O-Matic as well. Can you say what does contribute more to the enhanced tone: The bridge or the tailpiece? And what enhancement does the L5 style tailpiece add when you already changed the bridge from the original Epiphone wood bridge to a TOM style metal bridge?

I was unsure of the frequensator tailpiece when I got my ZBD. I had heard that finding strings to fit it was an issue.I had planned on getting one of the Kluson art deco units to replace it, but found that I really didn't have a problem with the stock TP. I kept mine. I would mess with different strings before swapping it out.

kluson_zpseee09a9c.jpg

Archived