Gibson Brands Forums

Banner L-00?

gov

Haven't paid much mind to this since I've always seen either pre-banner l-00 or banner lg2's but recently saw a banner L-00. Did they make many of these?

Questions like this come up so often it's a wonder that someone hasn't written a book on the topic. :)

Questions like this come up so often it's a wonder that someone hasn't written a book on the topic. :)

and that book comes up so often it's a wonder the forum doesn't collect a royalty [tongue] any idea when kindle edition coming?

I am not a Gibson historian, but I believe they were only made in 1942, the first year of "banners" and the final year of production for L-00s. I don't know how many L-00s were made with banners.

it was advertised as a '43 which i thought was strange. i seem to recall there was a period where both lg2 and l00 were made but would have thought that would have been only one year or part of one year.

and that book comes up so often it's a wonder the forum doesn't collect a royalty [tongue] any idea when kindle edition coming?.

:)

My publisher tells me that the e-version is ready for release.

As for L-00s, they shipped until sometime in 1944. I'm on the road and don't have my notes with me. Few wartime L-00s, however, received the banner and because the shipping ledgers don't reveal whether a guitar has a Banner, there's no way to determine how many banner l-00s exist.

The L.00s from the early 40s were a mixed bag. Many of them have features -- headstocks, rosettes, etc. -- that seem to have come from the Kalamazoo KG-14. These were floor sweep instruments -- there are many banjos from the period that are aldo "floor sweep" instruments.

There are a fair number around, and this phenomenon has been recognized in the market for many years. I have never seen one that was not x-braced. I have no idea how many had banner headstocks -- the others are pretty common.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived