Gibson Brands Forums

Kristofferson SJ or Sheryl Crow SJ

Bob Isaac

I have been looking at the specs and reviews of these two SJ's and can't decide which to get. There are a few obvious visual differences - pickguard, peghead logo and electrics. But what about the important features - structure and tone. The SCSJ seems to be ahead from what I can find. Does anyone agree or have any other views? I already have a 2012 SJTV.

Thanks. Bob

Bob, I think you'll find that very few here have played either (and they are really rare birds on our side of the pond). The handful who have played a Sheryl say they are very good. Even fewer seem to have encountered a KK. To be honest, I think the answer may depend a bit on your motivation. Why exactly do you want a second SJ? Not meaning to sound rude here, just given how stoked you seem to be with that rather lovely TV, I wouldn't have expected you to want another one quite so quickly. For those who can afford it, there are certainly reasons for having two hog slopes in the collection (ask PM). But it is a very quick move on your part, so I'm guessing it's not just love for the style and tone which is at stake. Knowing that your 335 is an Orbison signature model (albeit with modified tailpiece, I believe), I'm wondering whether you are looking at this next purchase from a collector's standpoint, or whether you want an SJ with quite different features, rather than thinking that you just can't get enough of a good thing. Are you looking for onboard electrics? The electrified Sheryl has the Trance pick-up system, which to the ears of most here (mine included) comes across in samples as the most natural sounding acoustic pup. That version is a lot more expensive than the non-electrified one. Not sure what the KK has, but the whole design predates Gibson's flirtation with the Trance system. Personally I'd have the Sheryl, because I like the banner styling and would like the Trance if I could afford it. Love KK's writing, but don't much like the eagle inlay or whatever it is at the 12th fret of his signature. I'm very happy with my Woody Guthrie, though, which is truer to the original banner styling than the Sheryl since it has no neck binding.

Thanks Mojorule. You are right in all aspects. The electrics are not really necessary, the KK has the Fishman's Matrix 1, but as with the SC they did not all have it fitted. These gits put out enough volume for me. I am a collector as well as a player, so feet in both camps really. The KK is now hard to find outside the US and those few dealers who have them in the US won't or are not keen to ship outside the US. (Amazon.com list 5 in stock). But my dealer has located a KK for me and I will speak with them in the morning to tell them if I want them to get it or not. I thought the KK came out in 2009 but Amazon state "Date first available at Amazon.com: July 16, 2004". I looked at the WG as well but that just complicated things even more. I shall sleep on it.

Bob

That makes it a bit easier to think about as a (very nice) problem, Bob, but not necessarily easier to answer. The fact that you put the TP6 on your 335 marks you out as a player, but your Orbison thing is about collection. At least now we can work with the fact that both angles really are your bag. Still not sure which angle is gunning for the second SJ, though - is it to be a collector's piece? The WG is now really a mainstream production model, and though there are fewer WGs around than J45 Standards, it's not really a collector's guitar. The early ones may be more so - I think there was a limited edition at the very start, complete with 'This Machine Kills Fascists' sticker. May have had an odd hybrid headstock with block logo and banner on it as well, though that may just be a feature of the Hank Williams SJ (worth considering too, despite this odd combination of aesthetics, though it would have to be s/h, since they stopped making them a while ago). According to Don Ruffato, though, the current Woody is really a Standard 45 under the hood, but with the SJ inlays, vintage-style Klusons, VOS finish, and a belly-down bridge as found on many genuine banners. Just great for me, but collecting is beyond my means. Probably one you can discount if you are going to treat your TV as your main player. The KK or the Sheryl are much more collectible, I think. That would include the pup-less Sheryl. Perhaps the KK is ever so slightly more a collector's item, because of the stand-out inlay. The Sheryl is harder to recognize as special, even though its specs are unique, and for those in the know it might well be more desirable. I think you need the collectors here to advise - stuff like production numbers would surely be important here. I know nothing about such statistics.

I thought I would chime in here. I own the SCSJ and it is one the greatest guitars I have ever played and growing up in Bozeman, MT I've played a lot of Gibson's. I have actually played it next to a SJTV and felt they are quite different in sound. Another thing I wanted to mention is that a couple friends at the Gibson factory have mentioned that the SCSJ may not be made anymore. One even said he had seen less than 100 leave the factory. I have no idea if this is true but it could effect the collectors value. Just thought I would include some more info for your decision.

Matt

Hi Mojorule! (and Bob)...

I own the SCSJ and it is currently my favorite instrument. I had a chance to play one during a Bozeman factory visit last spring, and came back raving about it. My wonderful wife got one for me for my birthday last year, and I couldn't have been more suprised or pleased. (check out our August Facebook entries to see a picture of me playing it in the garden that day). Strongly recommended, AND my first-ever Gibson acoustic.

And as for not being able to afford an Amulet system like Sheryl's, take a close look at our new Amulet M system. Same great sound as the stereo system (with exactly the same handmade transducers) but in mono, and prices start at $279 for a COMPLETE system.

And you can install it easily yourself, and save some money.

Check it out at our website...

www.tranceaudio.com

Cheers,

Gary

Great replies from all, thanks. Mojorule, the TP6 was on the 335 from new, it was part of the Orbison spec for that guitar and is really more of a collector's guitar, which it is for me. It still has the original strings from 2006.

Bob

There you are Bob, sounds like you've got to find a Sheryl, at least for comparison. Matters, Gary, I am very envious!

Never would have thought that the TP6 would be standard on such a guitar. Just goes to show.

Bob beats my record for sticking with original strings. People here laugh at the fact that I've still got 5/6 original strings on my Woody after two and a half years. I don't think they'll last 7 years, though.

The Orbison Signature 335 was a copy of his '82 335 that he had a TP6 on. I think the Lucille also has a TP6 as a factory fit. All others have the standard stop bar.

I don't always change the strings when I buy a new guitar, it depends if it came from the warehouse or from the shop where others may have played it. I tend to favour Cleartone 80/20's or the Martin Lifespan 80/20's. I'll change them when they don't sound good anymore. My SJTV has Gibson Phosphor Bronze Premiums and sound good, but not sure if they are 11's or 12's.

Bob

Archived