Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard Pickguard Conversion

Alan189

Hi folks,

I have an SG Standard (2004) and I've been thinking of late about modding it with the smaller '61 pickguard.

Has anyone done this? I have a couple of questions:

- Will the pickup routing show at all?

- Will any after market parts fit? ie from WD Music or All Parts?

I know the screw holes will be left over but I don't mind that, the guitar has seen a lot of action at gigs.

Further mods would be to add an ABR-1 bridge and Maestro Vibrola!

I don't plan to sell the guitar.

I've been think this over for years and the best & easiest way I think is to have a custom pickguard made the covers the route, it's still a little PG but the middle part that extends between the PU's is a little longer to cover the route.

Hi folks,

I have an SG Standard (2004) and I've been thinking of late about modding it with the smaller '61 pickguard.

Has anyone done this? I have a couple of questions:

- Will the pickup routing show at all?

- Will any after market parts fit? ie from WD Music or All Parts?

I know the screw holes will be left over but I don't mind that, the guitar has seen a lot of action at gigs.

Further mods would be to add an ABR-1 bridge and Maestro Vibrola!

I don't plan to sell the guitar.

A lot of work, with questionable payoff, IMO. I'd keep it as original as possible, sell it, and buy a new SG Standard. Other than the Maestro, it has everything that's great about the SG - neck tenon cover, small pickguard, vintage neck attachment, killer '57 Classic pickups,etc. Mine has a modded trapeze - the spring was cut and filed so it fits under the stop tailpiece, like it's all one piece. Makes the guitar heavier, and it's even heavier with the cover added. The newest Gibson SG Standard, even completely stock, is totally cool.

post-12237-032184400 1372719265_thumb.jpg

Archived