Gibson Brands Forums

Epi 650R,700T vs.Epi 57CH Classic/HOTCH

derp

Hi guys, new here, I was thinking about changing the pickups on my Special II, and I found a good deal for the 57CH. The reason for the change is that the 650R is muddy and I have to reduce its pickup height too much (It looks odd) also, the 650R,700T are too hot (12.8 and 16.6) while the 57CH are less hot (5.6 and 14.2), I was about to buy the 57CH as they are found in the G-400, Dot but I read on this forum that the 650R,700T are not bad either. I want to know if the 57CH would be better than my existing ones and would be suitable for me (I play Zep and occasional Nirvana,Green Day, mostly Zep). If anyone here has used them please make short review about it.

I don't want a very good sound after changing the pickups, just better than the existing one since I am buying inexpensive pickups for a cheap guitar.

My opinion, as it is with every Epiphone is this, leave your guitar exactly he way it is. If you want a guitar with better pickups, get a better guitar. A pickup change in an Epiphone LP Special II will only add to the cost of a entry level instrument. Also, there is nothing wrong with the pickups in an LP Special II, why change them ? If I was to change anything it would be the tuners, and put on better bridge saddles. Every LP Special II I have ever played (I've played about 15-20) have had tuning issues and were string poppers. [cursing]

My opinion, as it is with every Epiphone is this, leave your guitar exactly he way it is. If you want a guitar with better pickups, get a better guitar.

Except that you can get used high-quality American-made PU's on eBay for around half price, and substantially improve the tone of your guitar. The weakest link on Epi's has been the PU's, something they've addressed and have been changing over the past 3 years. That tells you even they think the old PU's were substandard. On the Duncan forum, the brand that players upgrade PU's on most often is Epiphones. Well worth the investment. PU's are modular, you take them out and put in ones that sound better; it's ridiculous to sell a guitar because you don't like the PU's. I hate to see people that helpless. Take control of your tone! Do your own set ups, change PU's and pots if needed. Get involved and make it sound the way you want it to. Doesn't cost much. Most of it is knowing what to do, and anyone can learn that.

Hi guys, new here, I was thinking about changing the pickups on my Special II, and I found a good deal for the 57CH. The reason for the change is that the 650R is muddy and I have to reduce its pickup height too much (It looks odd) also, the 650R,700T are too hot (12.8 and 16.6) while the 57CH are less hot (5.6 and 14.2), I was about to buy the 57CH as they are found in the G-400, Dot but I read on this forum that the 650R,700T are not bad either. I want to know if the 57CH would be better than my existing ones and would be suitable for me (I play Zep and occasional Nirvana,Green Day, mostly Zep). If anyone here has used them please make short review about it.

I don't want a very good sound after changing the pickups, just better than the existing one since I am buying inexpensive pickups for a cheap guitar.

The 700T/650R pair have ceramics, which are high output magnets, not known for sounding good clean. Don't waste you money on Epi '57 Classics, thay're cheap generic Asian PU's that are often called 'mudbuckers.' They're not an upgrade. Look online for used high-quality PU's, like Duncans and Dimarzios. Check eBay and the 'Trading Post' on the Duncan forum. The clarity, definition, and depth of quality PU's is worth it.

If you don't want to spend much on pickups, you may also consider cheaper brands, like for example Tonerider, Tesla or Entwistle. All of them have good opinions and all of them have PUs that try to emulate classic PAF sound.

Archived