Gibson Brands Forums

bridge posts installed crooked?

goodvibes

Has anyone seen this before? I bought this 2009 model used but it was only lightly played and kept original. I noticed the bridge was hard to take off and upon closer inspection, noticed the bridge posts were not perpendicular to the top. Any ideas or recommendations for fixing this? I checked the bridge studs and they are not bent, rather the holes appear to have been drilled in at an angle (leaning towards the bottom of the guitar).

post-57920-022870400 1372705502_thumb.jpg

Hmm that is a shame. since you are not the original owner, I don't know if you have a chance with a Warranty claim, but rightly so.. You could contact Gibson and see what they would do for your, but I wouldn't have high hopes unless you're are willing to pay for them to fix what they F'd up in the first place..

My gut feel is this would require a good luthier, remove fill the anchor holes, and rebore them correctly.

Bit there's a lot of ppl here who can maybe see another way.

Was this a private sale, or a store? do you have any options to undo the deal?

all I can say is,, wow...

Didn't see that on Custom Shop Gibsons until now. This is really bad since repair will mean some scars for the wood. However, this does not necessarily mean deterioration of the tonal qualities I believe, and I think I would have it fixed.

Sadly, crooked bushings can be found on many of my hardtail Gibsons. The worst in this respect is my ca. 1973 L6-S. The original long-travel Tune-O-Matic is broken for that reason. To install the new one I bought a few months ago would require additional routing which will destroy the chrome plating. On three of my four hardtail Les Pauls the bushings and so the bolts are tilted towards the tailpiece. Precisely set they are on both my 2011 L6S guitars and both my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs, and very slightly tilted to the tailpiece on my 1978 SG. Interestingly, all the tailpiece bushings on all guitars and those on my SG basses are set perfectly.

Didn't see that on Custom Shop Gibsons until now. This is really bad since repair will mean some scars for the wood. However, this does not necessarily mean deterioration of the tonal qualities I believe, and I think I would have it fixed.

Sadly, crooked bushings can be found on many of my hardtail Gibsons. The worst in this respect is my ca. 1973 L6-S. The original long-travel Tune-O-Matic is broken for that reason. To install the new one I bought a few months ago would require additional routing which will destroy the chrome plating. On three of my four hardtail Les Pauls the bushings and so the bolts are tilted towards the tailpiece. Precisely set they are on both my 2011 L6S guitars and both my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs, and very slightly tilted to the tailpiece on my 1978 SG. Interestingly, all the tailpiece bushings on all guitars and those on my SG basses are set perfectly.

Thanks. I don't think it is a death sentence for the guitar but I need to fix it. Can't return it. I bought it from a private party, took it to my trusted luthier and he gave it a clean bill of health before I bought it. So, I am taking it back to him but hopefully it will not cost too much to re-drill and tap the holes. I think I will have him install longer 6/32" studs just to be sure they wont tend to lean again.

Guest Farnsbarns

The studs are supposed to lean back towards the tail. That's normal. Good vibes has studs leaning sideways, that's not normal.

Archived