Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Supplied Instrument Humidifier

blkbrd57

The directions for the humidifier that comes with Bozeman guitars only states "Store in Case". Can you store this in the storage compartment? Will the humidifier do it's job in the covered storage compartment or should you store the unit outside the compartment next to the guitar?

Thanks for your help!

I've got one of those as well. I can't imagine how it can function closed inside the accessory compartment, but it seems a very bad idea to me to leave it free to bounce around inside the case near the peghead. So I have the same question as the OP.

It might help to describe this humidifier (I take it mine is the same as blkbrd57's; it at least poses a similar difficulty -- mine came with a 1994 J-45).

The humidifier is a green plastic cylinder with a snap off lid, measuring about 1 1/2 in diameter and 1 1/4 in height. It is filled with fairly weighty material (more dense than a sponge but not so dense as clay), which apparently absorbs water and presumably releases it as vapor depending upon surrounding humidity levels.

Perplexed as to where this device might be safely and yet effectively positioned, I seized one horn of the dilemma and placed it on the corner of my desk.

I then bought a planet waves humidifier and use it, as designed, suspended between the D and G strings inside the soundhole of the guitar.

I would be delighted to use my original equipment Gibson humidifier if anyone can offer a reasonable explanation of how it is to be used.

The humidifier that Dadeedo described is the same unit I have. The only 3 possible areas I can think of where this unit could be stored in the case is the compartment, by the peghead or the small space under the neck joint. Any area besides the compartment would cause more free movement of a foreign object than I would feel comfortable with. Maybe it is intended for collector guitars that stay in the case and never move.

Dadeedo are you happy with the planet wave unit? Could you share some info about it?

I've used the Keyser soundhole cover humidifier, an earlier version of the planet wave suspended humidifier that was filled with a syringe, and the current sponge version, as well as the do-it-yourself sponge in a soap case drilled with holes thang.

I liked the older PW model best. I'd buy three more if I could get my hands on them. The current version seems to be ok but requires more attention and doesn't lend itself as easily to the use of distilled water. I don't know why PW discontinued the earlier version. Maybe some people were put off by the syringe. But it was really a very good system.

I have one of the Gibson-supplied humidifiers like you describe but have never used it. Frankly, I'd be a little worried about sticking a humidifier in the soundhole of my guitar -- there is always the possibility that moisture will drip into the instrument and damage the wood. Some builders (Collings, for example) caution against using them. IIRC, I have recently seen some threads on the Martin and Collings forums about problems with the current PW humidifiers dripping into the guitars and also discoloring the lining of cases. I personally will be staying away from them.

Like dadeedo, I've used the damp sponge on occasion, only in a perforated baggie, like you can see in this

This seemed to me to be the least problematic and most easily controlled option. Whatever you decide, don't forget to use a hygrometer to monitor RH. I keep one in a case (I switch it from case to case from time to time) and one in the room I keep my guitars. Haven't had any problems so far.

Here are some threads discussing the PW humidifiers' leaking and leaching issues that I mentioned above. Caveat whoever:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129465

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/65920/t/Humidipak-Alert.html?page=1

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135090

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=4894681

These things have already been recalled once. Don't know what their current status is.

Another alternative is to go down to the dollar store and buy a plastic container that you can put a bar of soap in while you travel. Then buy a sponge and cut it so that it will fit inside of the box.

Drill several holes on each side of the plastic box. Wet the sponge just to the point where it is not dripping. Put the sponge in the box and close the lid. You can then put your sponge box in the area by your headstock. If you're worried about the plastic box coming in contact with your headstock, you can put a cleaning cloth around the headstock to protect it.

The entire unit should only cost about a dollar and 10 minutes of your time to make.

Jayla, I guess that recall is why I can't buy any more of the best humidifier I've used on my guitars. But I never had the least trouble with mine (I had two for two different guitars; I gave them away with the guitars when I sold them, not knowing I would not be able to replace them). Anyway, what I liked was that the syringe kept the distilled water untouched as it passed from container to the humidifier element.

I suppose some people may have over filled that unit, and it dripped water into the guitar. The material out of which the element was made in in those older models held a lot of water. The ordinary sponges used in the current model (and in the Keyser soundhole system, as well as the home-made models) all hold less water, yet they can also be oversaturated. So no humidifier is going to be idiot proof.

Be careful in every case to give the sponge a good squeeze. It should not be wet on the outside when you put it in the guitar soundhole or case.

I also like strummer's suggestion of putting the cloth between the plastic humidifier unit and the guitar headstock. I may try that with my Gibson humidifier.

I'm happy you didn't have any problems with your PW humidifiers dadeedo. From what I've read, a lot of people have used them without incident, while others have had all these problems. In the end, I decided to not take a chance, even though the "humidipaks" seemed really good. I've also heard good things about the Oasis Humidifier.

I admit I never gave any thought to humidifying my guitar. My various electrics (both solid and hollow bodies) have survived over the years without any special treatment, even through the unpredictable conditions of gigging and traveling. When I bought my first Gibson acoustic however, the salesman went to great pains to explain the effects of humidity on acoustic guitars, and strongly suggested that I use the humidifier. In spite of his admonition, I never did. In fact it never came to mind. I just kept the guitar in its case when I wasn't playing it, and the case sits in my living room next to the front door. It's been almost four years like that and I've never had a problem.

Recently I bought a new acoustic. Again, the salesman gave me the humidity lecture. When I got home I thought: maybe I should look into it. So I did some research, bought a couple hygrometers and monitored the RH in my home and cases. Even though the humidity in my area fluctuates wildly (it can be in the single digits during the day, and 80+ RH at night), my home is at a pretty stable 60% RH. Even now, when it's cold outside and we've got the heater going or a fire in the fireplace, RH only drops to about 45-50%. The gits are stable and play and feel fine. If humidity drops or rises in the house and cases I'll take action. If not, well, I keep on as I have been doing until now.

And BTW dadeedo: what about those tuners?

I believe the PW humidifier that dadeedo had and the one that was recalled are two different animals. You can still get the ones you fill with a syringe at the PW website.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pcaredetails.aspx?ID=2

The humidipaks were recalled. If you try to order them from the site, you can't.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pcaredetails.aspx?id=7

I believe the PW humidifier that dadeedo had and the one that was recalled are two different animals. You can still get the ones you fill with a syringe at the PW website.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pcaredetails.aspx?ID=2

The humidipaks were recalled. If you try to order them from the site' date=' you can't.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pcaredetails.aspx?id=7[/quote']

Believe you're right -- 'twas apparently the humidipaks that caused problems.

FYI, I bought a travel soap container for around $4 at Bed Bath & Beyond that wedges in perfectly & snug in the neek heel area of my J45's case. It's sort of a clear color & not perfectly square. I wet the sponge with distilled water, ring it out well & all seems fine.... although, with the case closed, I'm not too sure that it's actually doing much but gives me a little piece of mind still. I live in Los Angeles so I don't think it's a huge deal anyways.

Have a great holiday guys,

-john

the humidifier i have has a sponge you wet and ring out and it sits in a plastic case which fits in between your strings and goes down into the sound hole... i have to get the sponge every 3 days or so and get it damp again.

worth it when you invest thousands into one thing.

Archived