Gibson Brands Forums

weekend service

blindboygrunt

Just booked the j45 in with a guy for the weekend to get a nice setup. Drop it off tomorrow night pick it up Monday/Sunday. Never had a guitar set up for me personally .... Looking forward to nice clean frets and whatever else they do.

How many of you do this with a new guitar ?

I had a couple of poor experiences several years back with people working on my guitars, thus I have tended not to have anything done. This is not a good thing. I want to get a pro setup done on a couple of my electrics, but just have not taken the time to do it yet. Other than the poor experiences, I have not had a pro setup done on an acoustic. I am curious about how it would change the playability.

I'm always surprised at how new guitars don't arrive perfectly tuned up, if this is the case with yours. I'd just make sure you specify the strings you prefer and are used to.

I got it 2nd hand Jed. I have a buzz, frets might as well get done while it's in and of course I'll have a chat about how I play , string choice etc.. Surely that's part of any set up ? And I also don't know how all guitars can come with perfect set up when we all like them set up different ? I've read lots of guys posts on here about how they like a high action etc.

Not being argumentative ... Just wondering about your post :)

Got it, BBG. I thought new out of the box. I don't recall you posting pics or anything but I'll go back and look. My old hands always like my acoustics to play like a Strat, as long as the tipping point of action vs. tone isn't violated. The J45 is the only guitar I ever sprung for the $17 Thomastiks for. They were so balanced right out of the gate and stayed good forever. I would change them eventually after 7 or 8 months in disbelief that they were still sounding great.

Hope you love it when it gets back. It should be hard to put down. Have fun!

Archived