Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a Sheraton or a Sheraton II

Brandon65

Hello everyone, I am very new to the forum and am fairly new to playing...been only 6 months.

I just piced up an Epiphone Sheraton and I absolutely love it. The sound that it makes is outstanding. My question is I am not sure if it is a Sheraton or a Sheraton II and since I am very new to guitars, I cant tell what the diferences are. S020302330 is the serial number and the sticker on the inside is orange in color and just says SHERATON. The only thing is that it is missing the truss cover, and I dont want to buy the wrong one for it. From looking at the serioal number, it appears to have been built in March of 2002 snd all the parts on it are original as verified by my technician. So how do I tell the difference between a SHERATON and a SHERATON II ? Thanks...

Hello everyone, I am very new to the forum and am fairly new to playing...been only 6 months.

I just piced up an Epiphone Sheraton and I absolutely love it. The sound that it makes is outstanding. My question is I am not sure if it is a Sheraton or a Sheraton II and since I am very new to guitars, I cant tell what the diferences are. S020302330 is the serial number and the sticker on the inside is orange in color and just says SHERATON. The only thing is that it is missing the truss cover, and I dont want to buy the wrong one for it. From looking at the serioal number, it appears to have been built in March of 2002 snd all the parts on it are original as verified by my technician. So how do I tell the difference between a SHERATON and a SHERATON II ? Thanks...

Welcome to the forum! and congrats on scoring a Sheri !!!

Sheraton (50th Anniversary '62 Re-Issue)

GarysCam293_zps9b2e915d.jpg

mini humbuckers, frequensator tailpiece, 1 pc mahogany neck

Sheraton II

GarysCam297_zps5a2be079.jpg

full sized humbuckers, stop-bar tailpiece, 3 pc (actually 5) maple/walnut neck

OK...just FYI The original (USA Kalamazoo Gibson/Epiphone) Sheraton's had 2 mini-humbuckers,

and a frequensator tailpiece. The Sheraton II, was identical, EXCEPT it had a "Stop Bar" tail

piece.

The "Asian" version, for the most part, are Sheraton II's (but, with full size Humbuckers), though

there have been a few Japanese and early Korean "Sheraton I" models, with the frequensator tail

piece. And, of course, the '62 Reissue (Shown previously)

The Elitist Sheraton was a Sheraton II. The AIUSA (JLH) version came both ways, as I & II.

Both the Elitist, and AIUSA bodies, and necks, were made in Japan, but the AIUSA was shipped

to Gibson USA, for finishing (Nitro), and assembly with Gibson parts. The Elitist has the

Standard Epiphone shaped headstock, whereas the AIUSA has the original '63-69 wider headstock

(at the top). The more plentiful Asian version (Korean and Chinese), and early Japanese have

the current larger style headstock, with the "clipped" upper corners.

My personal Sheraton II AIUSA, is shown below.

DSC_0235.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

(I put the "Imperial" tuner buttons, on mine...it came stock, with the normal Grover rotomatic kidney bean style buttons.)

CB

Archived