Gibson Brands Forums

Removing pickguard on a sunburst

meanstreak

I've been tempted to change the pickguard on my AJ-500M Epi for a while now to one more J-45 shaped. What do you think it might look like underneath the guard? I've only ever removed one off a natural finish guitar. Will there be a tan line? I always always always keep it in the case after I'm done playing it.

2cpsv38.jpg

There is likely to be some evidence of the old pickguard....even if the guitar is pretty new, the finish likely cured under the guard different than the exposed areas.... On the 2 nitro sunbursts guitars than I have changed the pickguard on, neither showed any color difference but you could see a faint outline from the old pickguard in the finish. You can always take a look and see what you end up with....if you have a visible scar, make a new Greven Tortis dark one in the shape of the old one....they are really nice and you will still feel like you made a nice mod.

I guess that's a poly finish. Depending on the age and UV exposure, the finish under the pick guard will probably look newer, fresher or darker. It will add "mojo", but assuming you are going to a different pick guard to improve the looks, I guess you will be disappointed. Of course, most people won't notice the slight difference since its a burst. You might be the only one who notices or gives it a thought.

ya I was afraid it might look different. It's always kept in the case but it is about four years old now so I bet you guys are right about at least some difference. I think I might go ahead and give it a try, it's not like I'm ever selling the guitar anyways!

Archived