Gibson Brands Forums

St. Louis Free Park Concert

L5Larry

Calling all St. Louis, and surrounding area members.

My jazz band, the "Route 66 Jazz Orchestra", will be playing a free concert at the Kirkwood Park Amphitheater (Kirkwood, Missouri), this Saturday evening, August 10th, 7:00 p.m. The weather forecast couldn't look any better (for August in St. Louis anyway), it should be around 80'F at concert time.

The Route 66 Jazz Orchestra is a 20-piece jazz "big band", 14 horns, 4 piece rhythm section, and two vocalists. This will be a 2-set show, with a nice mix of standards, modern, and Latin jazz, plus four Sinatra charts. We're closing the first set with a song called "Barnburner", and it certainly is. It's a fast "swing" tune, and at 280 bpm to the quarter note, that put's me chunking 2.3 chords per second. That should be worth the price of admission alone. If my fingers get tangled up I'm likely to break something, although in actuality is much worse on my right arm/shoulder than my left hand.

The Kirkwood Park Amphitheater has regular stadium type permanent seating, but also had plenty of room (both grass and concrete) for blankets and/or lawn chairs. Grab a cooler and picnic basket and come join the mayhem.

Oh, and by the way.... I'm the guy playing the GIBSON!

Archived