Gibson Brands Forums

EVH 5150 mkIII 2x12 Combo Demo

CoreyT

Pretty good sounding amp.

They mention that they could use a noise gate, something I have never tried.

I take it that you can use that to keep the hum from coming through when you stop playing for a second?

I like to play my Blackstar HT5R-H with the gain turned way up, and something like a noise gate might be good for it running it through the effects loop?

Hello!

Noise gates are as You described them. When no definitive signals (notes) are coming from the guitar, they just shut the line down. So no noises picked up by the pickups reach the amp.

But, there are noise suppressors (like the Boss NS, or the Ibanez NB). Those cut frequency ranges out of the signal. Unfortunately, it's just like brain surgery, You never know what You're cutting out together with a tumor. So by reducing the hum, they cut tone too. I've found that the vintage Ibanez NB-10 is quite good at it without significant loss.

I use both kinds. At very high gain levels they are mandatory. Especially with single-coils. I use both a noise gate (in front of the pedal chain) and a suppressor (after overdrive units) when I play my Tribute with the P-90s. Together, they entirely cut the typical hum of these pickups.

Cheers... Bence

I've been looking for one of those to try. They should have maxed the power/master when they did the clean, those voltage types seem to add some dirt when you put them down low. The speakers are in a seperate closed cab, that's why it's so big and heavy, I think they use greenbacks, I don't think they are the EVH model. Would have to put some wheels on it. I wondering if it's a plywood or MDF cab.

Hello!

Noise gates are as You described them. When no definitive signals (notes) are coming from the guitar, they just shut the line down. So no noises picked up by the pickups reach the amp.

But, there are noise suppressors (like the Boss NS, or the Ibanez NB). Those cut frequency ranges out of the signal. Unfortunately, it's just like brain surgery, You never know what You're cutting out together with a tumor. So by reducing the hum, they cut tone too. I've found that the vintage Ibanez NB-10 is quite good at it without significant loss.

I use both kinds. At very high gain levels they are mandatory. Especially with single-coils. I use both a noise gate (in front of the pedal chain) and a suppressor (after overdrive units) when I play my Tribute with the P-90s. Together, they entirely cut the typical hum of these pickups.

Cheers... Bence

IMO the best stompbox noise suppressor on the market today has to be the ISP Decimator. Most transparent sounding noise reduction pedal I've ever used. A little pricey, but you pay for quality.

-Ryan

Archived