Gibson Brands Forums

335 Pickup Volume

IanHenry

Hi,

I have a small issue with my Gibson 335. The problem is that the neck pickup is noticeably louder than the one at the bridge. I've tried adjusting the height of the pickups but it makes little difference. Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ian.

Hello Ian,

depending on pickup types, this appears to be normal. On some of my guitars it's this way, too, and beyond adjustment. I just live with it, and incorporate it into my playing, or I choose the settings of my programmable emulating preamp to meet the requirements of special guitars and pickup selections for certain songs.

In summary, it has never been a reason for me to replace any pickup as many others do, and I love what my guitars blow out through their jacks.

Cheers,

capmaster

Similar experience here... [thumbup]

I find disparity between expected volumes vs P/U settings for neck, middle and bridge...

Maybe part perception of different frequency outputs from neck and bridge P/U

IMX guitars like the 335 find their own 'levels' with much tweakery on amp and fx

All part of the fun... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Ok, thanks guys, I just thought I would try to even them out a bit, but it looks like I'll have to live with it (I have done so far).

Many thanks,

Ian.

Well Ian, that just plain sucks. Something isn't right. I would have the pickups tested at a shop. The bridge pickup should be hotter (louder) than the neck. Don't tell me Gibson has both pickups with same output rating! That's ancient history guitar design. How old is your 335? My 135's '57 HB pickups are balanced very well. The bridge pup needs to be hotter because there is less string vibration at its location.

Well Ian, that just plain sucks. Something isn't right. I would have the pickups tested at a shop. The bridge pickup should be hotter (louder) than the neck. Don't tell me Gibson has both pickups with same output rating! That's ancient history guitar design. How old is your 335? My 135's '57 HB pickups are balanced very well. The bridge pup needs to be hotter because there is less string vibration at its location.

Hi Soundjunkie,

the guitar is a 2011 model, so not really al that old. The pickups are 57 at the neck and 57+ at the bridge.

Ian.

How far have you adjusted either pickup? The neck pickup is often "louder," because of more

string vibration, at that area. If you haven't already, try lowering the neck pickup, to level,

or just above the pickup ring. Then try raising the bridge pickup, to about 1/16-3/32" below the

strings. If none of that helps, you may need to have your pickups tested, for output...to

make sure there is not something amiss with the bridge pickup. It's rare, but it happens,

and should be warrantee repaired, or replaced.

I have the "Classic 57" series in 4 of my own guitars! They are AWESOME sounding, and very well

balanced. 2 of those are Les Paul's, which have the '57 and 57 Plus, in them. No "balance" issues,

with either of those, as well. My SG's have the straight '57's in both positions.

Barring any pickup problems, you can balance them, with the volume controls. If cutting the volume

on the neck pick, also cuts the tone, somewhat...you can have caps installed, that will cure that,

so that rolling off volume, doesn't diminish tone, as well.

Good Luck [thumbup]

CB

Thanks Charlie,

that helped. when I compared the 335 to my LP Classic Antique, which has the same type of pickups, I was able to use the Les Paul as a reference for adjusting the ones on my 335. Regarding the pickups being covered by the warranty, that has ended because I've had the guitar nearly two years, and Gibson in their infinite wisdom only give a one year warranty here in the U.K.

Regards,

Ian.

Ian, I would have the pickups measured. The bridge should be hotter. It's a simple bench test any good guitar tech can do. Sorry if I went a little crazy on my earlier post. If the pickups measure same resistance, then Gibson should pay for the pickup swap, at least in theory since you are the orig. Owner. I just returned an ES-390 that had the same problem. Only the very earliest guitars produced had pickups which were equal resistance. Perhaps the factory ran out of the hotter bridge pickups? Or maybe, you aren't understanding the physics behind string vibration. The neck position sounds fuller and warmer because at that pickup position, the strings vibrate more than at the bridge position. I just played an 80's 335 that was balanced volume wise between both pu's, so something isn't right here.

Ian, I would have the pickups measured. The bridge should be hotter. It's a simple bench test any good guitar tech can do. Sorry if I went a little crazy on my earlier post. If the pickups measure same resistance, then Gibson should pay for the pickup swap, at least in theory since you are the orig. Owner. I just returned an ES-390 that had the same problem. Only the very earliest guitars produced had pickups which were equal resistance. Perhaps the factory ran out of the hotter bridge pickups? Or maybe, you aren't understanding the physics behind string vibration. The neck position sounds fuller and warmer because at that pickup position, the strings vibrate more than at the bridge position. I just played an 80's 335 that was balanced volume wise between both pu's, so something isn't right here.

Thanks Soundjunkie, I fixed the problem by following Charlie's advice, I've now set the heights of them so they are both the same, but I still think I need a little "fine tuning" before I'm completely satisfied. Regarding Gibson paying for a pickup swap, that would never happen, because here in the U.K they only provide a 12 month warrenty and I've owned the guitar two years!

Thanks,

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently experienced the same problem.I have a 2006 ES335 and the pickups were well balanced until one day the volume on the bridge pickup was way less than it had been. The guitar tech that worked on it found no other problems with it. He replaced the bridge pickup with a new Classic'57 and the problem was solved. I don't think that the pickup should have gone bad in 6 years but apparently it did.

Archived