Gibson Brands Forums

for DRob

JuanCarlosVejar

DANG!

That's a fine sounding instrument!

Here's the problem, while I've messed with mandolins before, I would not consider myself a player of one.

So, I not only have to get one, but have to learn to play it some.

I got my FIL's old violin, (he'd be 90, and he got this one as a kid, so it'd be neglected for many, many years.

I took it and had it completely refurbished, and the luthier played it for me....holy COW it sounded good....then

when I play it, it sounds worse than what Jack Benny used to do.... and I STILL haven't got the hang of it.

But I know I won't be satisfied with anything less than an authentic Gibson F-Style...so that's what I'm

in the hunt for.

Thanks for posting.

One of my music buddys walked into my Thursday night music gathering about 4 years ago with a '24 F5 signed by Lloyd Loar. It was in nearly perfect condition. A friend of his got it from her uncle who had stored it for many years and passed on to her as he was dying. She carried it around in her car for a couple of weeks and took it to my buddy and asked him to clean it up and adjust it, etc. They neither one had any idea what it was. When he took it out of the case, I said "Ted, do not touch this mandolin. Have her take it to Elderly Instruments (about 1 1/2 hours from here) and have it appraised". She took it over and Stan Werbin came in to look at it and appraised it. She listed it on consignment and sold it thru Elderly for $135,000.

It had the original case, had bar frets and no cracks, chips, etc. Marvelous instrument and that old smell that was absolutely intoxicating.

RB

One of my music buddys walked into my Thursday night music gathering about 4 years ago with a '24 F5 signed by Lloyd Loar. It was in nearly perfect condition. A friend of his got it from her uncle who had stored it for many years and passed on to her as he was dying. She carried it around in her car for a couple of weeks and took it to my buddy and asked him to clean it up and adjust it, etc. They neither one had any idea what it was. When he took it out of the case, I said "Ted, do not touch this mandolin. Have her take it to Elderly Instruments (about 1 1/2 hours from here) and have it appraised". She took it over and Stan Werbin came in to look at it and appraised it. She listed it on consignment and sold it thru Elderly for $135,000.

It had the original case, had bar frets and no cracks, chips, etc. Marvelous instrument and that old smell that was absolutely intoxicating.

RB

Man...that's something.... I suspect I WON'T be spending even half that much for a mandolin!

Man...that's something.... I suspect I WON'T be spending even half that much for a mandolin!

I guess the modern equivalent to the 1924 loar would be one of these Ricky Skaggs F 5's that had a list price of like $25,000

I'm waiting to see if gibson will build me one of those 1934 Sam Bush Ferns

JC

I guess the modern equivalent to the 1924 loar would be one of these Ricky Skaggs F 5's that had a list price of like $25,000.

A much cheaper but very satisfying way to go:

Check out a 1920's oval hole "A" model Gibson,

preferably '22 or later for the truss rod.

The A models have a very rich & full tone,

rather than the bluegrass bark of an F-5,

and many of them have survived amazingly intact.

More spendy but also very cool > the F-4.

Archived