Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup upgraded ?

denthevetteman78

I just bought a second Le paul and want to upgraded with something different. I upgraded my first Les paul with 498t and 490r. I would like to have something different for my second one. I like to play blues and some hard rock.

I like the Parsons Street PAF from Stewart-MacDonald.

Totally authentic and made correctly.

denthevetteman, good to see another corvette guy on this forum. I used to STAY on corvette forum until this past Christmas when my wife got me my first guitar. Now I cannot put the guitar down. I have had my vette on ramps since last September upgrading the brakes and a few other little projects. It is still setting on the ramps. I need to get it done and drive it one time before winter. However, Guitars have gotten in the way of corvette work.

My vette.

DSC00583Small.jpg

denthevetteman, good to see another corvette guy on this forum. I used to STAY on corvette forum until this past Christmas when my wife got me my first guitar. Now I cannot put the guitar down. I have had my vette on ramps since last September upgrading the brakes and a few other little projects. It is still setting on the ramps. I need to get it done and drive it one time before winter. However, Guitars have gotten in the way of corvette work.

My vette.

DSC00583Small.jpg

Nice '70. I've seen it on corvette forum before as im on that forum also. One thing about guitar is that is cheaper to hot rod them compare to old corvette.

Dennis

BB Pros are very nice ... I just put a set of GFS Mean90s in my Epi LP (the LPs were all too similar) and they are way wicked cool.

I'm not a P90 afficienado, but these things sound great to me.

I'm still kicking around the idea of P-Rails w/TS rings in my studio.

I like the Parsons Street PAF from Stewart-MacDonald.

Totally authentic and made correctly.

They're a great sounding pickup. I put a set in a Washburn jazz box and they really brought it alive.

I just bought a second Le paul and want to upgraded with something different. I upgraded my first Les paul with 498t and 490r. I would like to have something different for my second one. I like to play blues and some hard rock.

Recently I installed a pair of Entwistle HV58 zebra unpotted in my Epi Les Paul Studio. I don't know how they compare to 490r/498t set (yet) or to the classic PAF, but they are much much better than stock Alnico Classics (non-pro version). It's not I don't like Alnico Classics, but for the music I bought LP for (Gary Moore-like blues and rock) they are much better. And they have more useful tones. And they don't cost fortune :)

Recently I installed a pair of Entwistle HV58 zebra unpotted in my Epi Les Paul Studio. I don't know how they compare to 490r/498t set (yet) or to the classic PAF, but they are much much better than stock Alnico Classics (non-pro version). It's not I don't like Alnico Classics, but for the music I bought LP for (Gary Moore-like blues and rock) they are much better. And they have more useful tones. And they don't cost fortune :)

Never heard of those Hv58 but i really like my 490r/498t on my Epi Les Paul Standard ebony. Just wanted something different.

• 2 weeks later...

They're a great sounding pickup. I put a set in a Washburn jazz box and they really brought it alive.

+1 for the Parsons Street humbuckers. I just upgraded my Sheraton II with a pair of the Alnico 2's and a wiring kit from BCS Guitars, and the improvement is unmistakable--the sound is more open and harmonically rich, and a touch less muddy, especially on the neck pickup.

+1 for the Parsons Street humbuckers. I just upgraded my Sheraton II with a pair of the Alnico 2's and a wiring kit from BCS Guitars, and the improvement is unmistakable--the sound is more open and harmonically rich, and a touch less muddy, especially on the neck pickup.

+1. Very good PU's with exact vintage specs. Highly recommended. A set of them costs what one PU does with most other brands of PAF's.

Archived