Gibson Brands Forums

My New Pelham Blue Firebird

Greybeard

Last May I ordered the Epiphone Limited Edition Pelham Blue Firebird from my local small town music store. All through the summer I kept checking on when it was going to come in and they would call their Epi rep and get another slip in the scheduled ship date. Well yesterday it finally arrived and I went to the store and had them open the EPI shipping box while I was there. To say the least, everyone was disappointed in the quality of the construction and finish on this guitar. There were places that the paint barely covered the wood, there were brown spots showing through the paint that looked like something splashed on the wood before painting, and there were dents in the edges of the wood on the body of the guitar. These were dents that were under the paint not something that was done in shipping.

I would not accept the guitar and they are now calling Epiphone to see what they want to do with it. This is not a large music store and it was a special order for me so I hate to put them through an issue that is not their fault. I have to wonder who in the quality control area of Epiphone would let this kind of quality get out the door.

Well the color is actually "TV Pelham Blue". These places where the paint "barely covered the wood" as you say look to be done on purpose as you can see in these Epiphone press photos.

P_PelFBirdStudio2.jpg

P_PelFBirdStudio3.jpg

P_PelFBirdStudio6.jpg

If the one that they sent had looked anywhere near what this one looks like I'd have it at home. What they sent didn't have half the paint that this one is showing and the dents looked like the guitar had been bumped or dropped before it was painted. The dark spots were not grain showing through but something that looked like splashed stain on the wood. It was what I would call splotchy spots that showed through the faint amount of paint on it.

If they would actually put Firebird pickups in these things instead of humbuckers, they would be much more appealing.

From what I've researched, you can't buy the Firebird pickups (495R and 495T) from Gibson. There are some people who are buying Firebirds and parting them out. The pickups have been on ebay a few times.

If they would actually put Firebird pickups in these things instead of humbuckers, they would be much more appealing.

Agreed. Until they came back out with mini hums on 'em, I'll keep lusting for a reissue Sheraton. I wonder how the Lollar minis would sound, though.....

Agreed. Until they came back out with mini hums on 'em, I'll keep lusting for a reissue Sheraton. I wonder how the Lollar minis would sound, though.....

That's something I'm curious about too Tweed but the other question in my mind is would the guitar have to be modified to fit the minis in a humbucker hole.

I don't think so, just need an adapter ring. There are several people that sell them on eBay, so I'm sure that someone else must sell them, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Humbucker-to-Mini-Humbucker-Adapter-Pickup-Ring-BLACK-A56/320942676635?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D1238422966537468938%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D250911015978%26#ht_686wt_1157

The trick is that not all mini hums are exactly the same size. And mini hums and firebird pickups are a little different, too. Found this out when I converted my tele neck pickup to a mini hum. I've even thought about converting a Dot to minis. Love the sound they produce.

Archived