Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Nut

Mike.J.Faulkner

Thanks for all those who have replied.

I am going to take it to a luthier, i want the nut changed because of tone reasons and also i am not sure the nut, installed by Gibson, is right. (it seems to be misaligned and the B string is high) The shop i bought it from are not interested in sorting it out. I am fairly ok at doing some basic guitar repairs, but having read the post about buying nut files etc. I figured that it wont cost too much more to take it to the luthier.

Mike

Thanks for all those who have replied.

I am going to take it to a luthier, i want the nut changed because of tone reasons and also i am not sure the nut, installed by Gibson, is right. (it seems to be misaligned and the B string is high) The shop i bought it from are not interested in sorting it out. I am fairly ok at doing some basic guitar repairs, but having read the post about buying nut files etc. I figured that it wont cost too much more to take it to the luthier.

Mike

Sounds like a job for a luthier.

Is the high B string something that you noticed playing or is it plain to see as you look across the strings ?

How long have you had it ?

Sounds like a job for a luthier.

Is the high B string something that you noticed playing or is it plain to see as you look across the strings ?

How long have you had it ?

Had it about 12 months or so, it is not very plain to see, but playing a barre F on the first fret causes problems. As you move up the neck the problem disappears. My other guitar plays perfectly at the first fret.

When i bought it i asked for the action to be adjusted down and they did something with the nut, which seemed strange at the time.

Mike

Had it about 12 months or so, it is not very plain to see, but playing a barre F on the first fret causes problems. As you move up the neck the problem disappears. My other guitar plays perfectly at the first fret.

When i bought it i asked for the action to be adjusted down and they did something with the nut, which seemed strange at the time.

Mike

Yeah. Usually action is looked at from the saddle end. Is the saddle very low ? Maybe nothing left to take away and so they went for the nut end.

Maybe take it to a different guy this time ?

I hope you get it sorted

Archived