Gibson Brands Forums

Quick question on POTS

Zeppeholic

hello, i need to replace the pots on my Pes Paul standard, i was just wondering if it's the long shaft that is for the Les Paul, i'm sure it is i just need a confirmation!

Thanks!

P.S. why doesn't Gibson make push/push and push/pull long shaft pots? I need push/push pots with a long shaft, but i want Gibson

hello, i need to replace the pots on my Pes Paul standard, i was just wondering if it's the long shaft that is for the Les Paul, i'm sure it is i just need a confirmation!

Thanks!

P.S. why doesn't Gibson make push/push and push/pull long shaft pots? I need push/push pots with a long shaft, but i want Gibson

Yes, it's the long shaft.

Don't know why they don't - I had a Göldo long shaft built into my Alex Lifeson Axcess for an additional neck pickup polarity switch.

I believe some pre-1977 Gibson and some newer Gibson historics use short shaft pots....best to unscrew one and measure the threaded shaft of the pot...3/4" is long shaft.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that the splines(where you push in your knobs) on a pot can be fine or coarse. Gibson uses fine splines.

Les Pauls generally take long shaft pots. But you'd better check. Long shaft pots have a 3/4" shaft, short pots are more like 1/4". Long shaft pots will always work - you might have to screw the backing washer up so the pot will sit back into the control cavity far enough.

Alpha makes the push pull pots. I don't think CTS makes them. I think Gibson uses Aplha P/P pots and CTS regular pots.

Archived