Gibson Brands Forums

Attained hard rock 335 nirvana last night

jc1funk

Most of us know how hard it can be finding THAT tone you've been searching for, especially if the guitar is new to you like my 335 is (had it almost a year now after 16 years of Strats).

Last night, I found something very special.

1. Take one JCM2000 DSL50 and dime every control (except reverb) on the classic (green) crunch channel.

2. Attach a Marshall 1960AX 4x12 cabinet (in this case about 12 years old with well worn-in stock greenbacks).

3. Warn everyone in the room then hit an open chord on the 335 (in this case with stock classic 57s pups) then roll up the volume.

4. Proceed to rock out.

5. Add a big muff clone like a tall font russian with the fuzz set real low and, well... words just wont do it justice...

The range using the full scope of the volume and tone controls was phenomenal (sans fuzz). The amp was in its element, the speakers were in their element, the guitar was like a wild animal straining at a leash.

I almost shed a tear it was so epic. The smile on my face hasn't worn off yet.

I know a lot of 335 players are aiming at the blues and jazz vibe but I know there are also those of us that bought these things to rock out hard and I'd love to hear how others drive their 335s out to the brink.

Most of us know how hard it can be finding THAT tone you've been searching for, especially if the guitar is new to you like my 335 is (had it almost a year now after 16 years of Strats).

Last night, I found something very special.

1. Take one JCM2000 DSL50 and dime every control (except reverb) on the classic (green) crunch channel.

2. Attach a Marshall 1960AX 4x12 cabinet (in this case about 12 years old with well worn-in stock greenbacks).

3. Warn everyone in the room then hit an open chord on the 335 (in this case with stock classic 57s pups) then roll up the volume.

4. Proceed to rock out.

5. Add a big muff clone like a tall font russian with the fuzz set real low and, well... words just wont do it justice...

The range using the full scope of the volume and tone controls was phenomenal (sans fuzz). The amp was in its element, the speakers were in their element, the guitar was like a wild animal straining at a leash.

I almost shed a tear it was so epic. The smile on my face hasn't worn off yet.

I know a lot of 335 players are aiming at the blues and jazz vibe but I know there are also those of us that bought these things to rock out hard and I'd love to hear how others drive their 335s out to the brink.

It's a great feeling isn't it? :D Excuse the pun, but it strikes a chord inside you when you hear it for the first time :)

I also enjoy the hi-gain potential of the 335... [thumbup]

My main 'pedal' is a Boss ME70, which has many OD options...and even a UniVibe :blink: ...

Front up with a Big Muff, Behringer cheap Metal Fuzz and a banded EQ, and there are few limits to the fun available... [thumbup]

And as if that wasn't evil enough...the ME70 has stereo outs...so 2 amps can be providing sinful pleasure all at once... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

• 2 months later...

loved the greenbacks so much I just picked up a 1960TV (the AX was a loaner). The Wife was suitably impressed... great sense of humour :)

You ain't lived til you've pounded a gibby through a dimed stack... not the best idea at home, better left for the stage.. but the funny thing was our two-and-a-half year old slept right through it.

JCM2000DSL50w1960TVand335_zps0d3874ed.jpg

Peas

JC aka "dad of the year"

Archived