Gibson Brands Forums

gillian welch regardless what your tastes are

blindboygrunt

I'm sure he does use alternate tunings , but I've watched him a couple of times and even though it sounds like someone in alternate tuning its not.

As someone has already pointed out , it's when he hits a 'bum' note and just manages to incorporate it into the song as if he meant it.theres an almost jazz attitude to his soloing.I think he's a bit of a genius, his name should be way more famous than it is.

I love Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings and my favorite song is "Hard Times".

However, I hope I'm not hijacking the thread by posting this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIqwgYN-iYY

They have often be compared to Welch & Rawlings...two acoustic guitars, two voices, no pickups, Kenneth Pattengale's picking style... their songwriting is getting better and betterand their last record, "The Ash And Clay", is really beautiful.

Gillian and David get a huge amount of love here, and they deserve every bit of it.

David's picking on that little old archtop goes perfectly with their voices and Gillian's old J-50. His picking style has huge echoes of a banjo being picked, without the jangly voice of the banjo (sorry to all you banjer fans).

Haunting, 30's-style sound with great modern lyrics.

Just another example of the superb musicians working in this "Americana" genre now. John Fullbright is another who blows my socks off in a similar new/old singer/songwriter tradition.

Archived