Gibson Brands Forums

j45 50's reissue

ray40

folks

I have been looking for a J45 with a 1 11/16 neck ever since I sold my j45TV last year - I have come across one but of course its 1500 miles away

Has anyone played or owned one and could you describe the neck profile? I really did not like the J45TV V neck _ I know its a C profile but thats all

tnx in advance

Ray-

I played that 50's Re-Issue that was at Shelton's link: 50's Custom Shop Tri-burst J-45. At that time, I had a J-45 TV "and others" when I was on some sort of twisted search to find a J-45 sound that my ear favored most. I really didn't notice any difference in the nut width, or even neck profile. I was too busy being blown away by how light the guitar was; light in both weight and sound. The one on the AGF has now been adjusted down to a very reasonable $1750/best offer. At that price, you could "rent" it for a few months to see how it works for you, and not take much of a hit on the $. The one at Shelton's had one of the most beautiful 'bursts I've ever seen- just not the guitar for me.

If a slim neck is something you're looking for in a J-45, you might want to check out some early (pre-square shoulder) '60's J-45's. Don't pass on one just because it has a adjustable bridge; keep an open mind and open ear. Happy hunting.

Edit: Also keep in mind that when people try to figure out why the 1940's J-45's sound like they do (and the neck join distance on a 12-fret guitar possibly, as well), they'll often suggest that the baseball bat necks those guitars sported had a direct influence on the tone that was getting generated. I tend to believe the huge necks could definitely be a factor, as I've never played a slim neck that had the tone of a Banner. Also haven't played any slim-necked guitars that're as aged a Banner, either.

Ray-

Edit: Also keep in mind that when people try to figure out why the 1940's J-45's sound like they do (and the neck join distance on a 12-fret guitar possibly, as well), they'll often suggest that the baseball bat necks those guitars sported had a direct influence on the tone that was getting generated. I tend to believe the huge necks could definitely be a factor, as I've never played a slim neck that had the tone of a Banner. Also haven't played any slim-necked guitars that're as aged a Banner, either.

I have heard the argument about thick necks impacting sound made about electrics but not about acoustics. I know guys who swear a thick neck without a truss rod on an electric is the way to go.

I have always described the 50s Gibson necks as roundback Ds. They remain among my favorite neck profiles. Just plain comfy.

Archived