Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone probucker

lengle1981

Probuckers are very good and definitely stage-worthy, but not quite up to the level of a Gibson Burstbucker. Alnico Classic Pros are also very good (which are different than 'Alnico Classics'; kind of confusing). Basically, any with 4-wire leads and push-pull pots are the upgraded PU's. They are a big improvement from what Epi was using in their 1990's Koreans.

To be able to get a well-made $400 or $500 Epi with high-quality stock PU's and tuners, that's been the dream of many people for decades. And it's finally happened. Best of all, they've kept prices the same, or lowered them.

Try out one of the new Epi's with these PU's. I was skeptical at first myself, and thought they had just given fancy marketing names to more-or-less the same PU's, but that's not the case at all. These are a big upgrade.

Might try pick up a pair of 2nd hand ones on eBay at some point. No doubt someone will put some on eventually

They are listed sometimes, but very quickly disappear. You can use automatic notifications to be informed about new listings. Without that, I was sure no-one had ever listed Probuckers ;) It's much easier to buy used Gibson pickups, especially Dirty Fingers and "hot Alnico" 490r, 490t and 498t.

Archived