Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Dimension Question

NHTom

Ok, trying to educate myself here.......

Of my two Gibsons, there is definitely a difference between the two necks. I honestly don't know which is "50's" which is "60's" and so on.

Interested in learning the difference so I would have a better idea when shopping for the next one. I'm a big believer in playing it first and going with what I like, but for my own education, I'd like to know what I all ready have.

First is a 1985 Explorer Designer Graphic series

Second is a 1997 Les Paul Studio Gem series

I know they are all finished by hand so there is no exact spec, but is there any equation that "50's" is X x Y at a specific fret, etc?

The gem is definitely a different feel than the explorer......like them both, but can notice the difference.

Thanks,

NHTom

There isn't an equation.

Measuring front to back is only one piece of the pie, if the neck profile has shoulders it will feel very different despite of measuring the exact same than other neck that has less or no shoulders.

A guy at MLP was measuring necks front to back but then measured the neck around with a non-stretchable string or wire from one edge of the fingerboard to the other.

Ok, trying to educate myself here.......

Of my two Gibsons, there is definitely a difference between the two necks. I honestly don't know which is "50's" which is "60's" and so on.

Interested in learning the difference so I would have a better idea when shopping for the next one. I'm a big believer in playing it first and going with what I like, but for my own education, I'd like to know what I all ready have.

First is a 1985 Explorer Designer Graphic series

Second is a 1997 Les Paul Studio Gem series

I know they are all finished by hand so there is no exact spec, but is there any equation that "50's" is X x Y at a specific fret, etc?

The gem is definitely a different feel than the explorer......like them both, but can notice the difference.

Thanks,

NHTom

No equation really... You have 50s necks that are rounder and fatter and 60s necks that are slimmer and more tapered..

BUT actually the V and Explorer usually come with a hybrid neck which is somewhere between the 50s and 60s.. then you have the Firebird neck that is like s 60s but flatter at the back..

So your explorer probably has one of those hybrid necks and your studio probably has a 50s neck.

Then theres also the asymmetrical neck which is on a few models (like the 2008 LP Standard) which is like a 60s neck but even MORE tapered and is meant to fit your hand more ergonomically (which I have one of and its a GREAT neck).

Heres some pics that may help

botbdata1wl_zps777b64de.jpg

DSC00005_1_zps0782e557.jpg

7a86ccf1_zps8a05001d.jpg

I think at the end of the day you cant tell much from pictures or figures the differences are minimal, we are talking a few MM here we are talking 22mm at the head and about 24/25 at the heal.. Its all about how it feels in your hands :)

Thanks for the info Rabs.

The bottom diagram says it all.

While not much difference in my opinion in actual THICKNESS, the "shoulder" difference is what I feel. Definately more 50's on the studio and 60's(or some variation) on the explorer.

I really enjoy both. For me, the explorer feel is a little better for solos, etc, while the studio is great for chunking out cords and riffs.

I Appreciate the help!!!

NHTom

Archived