Gibson Brands Forums

R9 or R0?

Zeppeholic

I'm looking into getting a Reissue Les Paul, but I have a couple questions regarding neck profiles.

I understand that the 1959 necks are like the perfect neck for many players, and I do like the 1959 reissues, but is the neck similar to the 60's slim taper in any way?

What is the main difference between a rounded '59 neck and a 60's slim taper?

Also, it seems they have all the good finishes in the R9s, and just Cherry Sunburst for the R0's (that and a couple unappealing plain top finishes) why is that?

The R9 has a chunkier profile than the R0.

My R9 feels nothing like my R0. Not At All. But then mine is a very early example (instrument 131 of 1993 which was the first year of the Historic Division R9) and I think the newer ones are less hefty than mine.

But if you look at the instruments advertised at Mark's Guitar Loft you'll see there is considerable variation from instrument to instrument.

This is why, yet again, you MUST try out as many as you can.

http://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=new

IDK why Gibson only offer the R0 in HCSB. Perhaps Historical?

At the start of 1960 Gibson were still using the dye-based finishes on the Les Paul but early in the year they changed to a pigment-based finish.

The big difference between the two methods is the latter doesn't fade in anythinkg like the same manner as the former. Basically these later original '60 guitars don't really fade at all and still look HCSB.

P.

I know I need to try them out as much as I can but there isn't anywhere near me that has an R9 or R0.

Guitar center doesn't have any Gibson custom models at all. I guess that's what I get for living in the middle of Colorado.

I really want an R0 LPC, that'd be perfect, or a Standard in Light Burst

Guitar center doesn't have any Gibson custom models at all. I guess that's what I get for living in the middle of Colorado.

You could drive north, make a right, go over Trail Ridge Road, down into Estes Park, make a right down to Boulder, to Wildwood Guitars. They have a crapload of Les Pauls.

rct

You could drive north, make a right, go over Trail Ridge Road, down into Estes Park, make a right down to Boulder, to Wildwood Guitars. They have a crapload of Les Pauls.

rct

woah do you like in Colorado too?

and I was told to go there too but after the flood nobody wants to go haha

I live in New Jersey. Me and Mrs have been to Dinosaur, Rocky Mountain, Four Corners, Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes, Black Canyon of Gunnison, all of your National Parks, through your state on 70 more than a few times. Just went through in February, Glenwood Canyon in winter! Will be at Dinosaur, and then Estes Park for a couple days at Rocky Mountain in May of next year. We'll probably stop at Wildwood on our way out.

rct

I know I need to try them out as much as I can but there isn't anywhere near me that has an R9 or R0.....Guitar center doesn't have any Gibson custom models at all. I guess that's what I get for living in the middle of Colorado....I really want an R0 LPC, that'd be perfect, or a Standard in Light Burst

Ah. Pity.

AFAIK there is no such thing as an R0 LPC at the moment.

They currently do the regular Custom (with the Richlite 'board) and the R7 with the rounded neck profile.

The closest you could get these days is the 3-p'up Peter Frampton R-I which, although based on a '54 converted to '60 specs as far as the electrics go, has been given a slim neck profile.

....or a used JP LP Custom if you can get anyone to part with theirs.....

P.

I live in Longmont CO, but I go to the mountains at least twice a week or so.

Why doesn't Gibson bring back the 1960 LPC? Make it like the VOS series guitars, that'd be awesome.

Especcially with 2 and 3 pickup options

I do not know why they do what they do and don't do what they don't do. I have a 2000 Classic, it's the last Les Paul I bought, so it must be a good one. I've had lots of them, and I only have this one now, and I have no desire to buy another. Maybe they'll bring them back, or you could score one in great shape second hand. Good luck with it, you are bound to run into a winner if you keep looking at them. Do yourself a favor though, don't exclude any particular one or the other kind, don't limit yourself to "I have to have this" and "I have to have that". You may be surprised to find out just what you can do without when you find just the right guitar.

rct

I do not know why they do what they do and don't do what they don't do. I have a 2000 Classic, it's the last Les Paul I bought, so it must be a good one. I've had lots of them, and I only have this one now, and I have no desire to buy another. Maybe they'll bring them back, or you could score one in great shape second hand. Good luck with it, you are bound to run into a winner if you keep looking at them. Do yourself a favor though, don't exclude any particular one or the other kind, don't limit yourself to "I have to have this" and "I have to have that". You may be surprised to find out just what you can do without when you find just the right guitar.

rct

I know, great advice though, thank you very much sir [thumbup][biggrin]

Archived