Gibson Brands Forums

Weird scratches in body

I have a new-to-me but 12 year old L200 Emmylou Harris. She's in really beautiful condition - the only thing is there is a series of slight scratches or cracks on the body - they only appear if you look in a certain light at a certain angle. I'm sure these are NOT cracks in the wood and they are not surface cracks either - the finish is smooth as silk. So I am wondering if they are hairline cracks below the surface of the finish and if so, is there anything that can be done about it? It certainly isn't affecting the sound and I really don't think the wood itself is cracked but I'm so curious about this - has anyone seen this on their guitars?

(And honestly, the photo captured it well but you can't always see them looking at the guitar. They don't show up when looking at it head on, for instance.)

EHscratch.JPG

That looks typical of the type of cracks that appear on nitrocellulose finished guitars over time. It's called "finish checking" I believe. They do start out like that, hard to see except at an angle. Nothing to worry about I would say, it's not the wood or it would be much more pronounced. These cracks seem to appear when the finish is subjected to rapid temperature changes, like when taking a really cold guitar out of a case in a warm room.

I don't know on that guitar, but I've seen some strange things happen (both good & bad) with humidifying. Only bad with low or high, not just right however. Seen dry guitars smooth way out in finish with nitro, small splits under nitro close up etc. They sure sound better, to me anyway, when at 45%.

Best of luck. Just keep it spot on humidity wise and let us know if you see an changes.

I can't tell from photo (not do to anything other than in person vs. photo) but you say with close inspection with mag. glass you don't see any crack thru the nitro? If they are really scratches in the wood thru the nitro no fixing that w/o removal of finish. If light in the nitro, you can polish those right out with some mild compound.

Aster

I haven't used any magnifying glass. You can see the cracks when you look at a certain angle in the light. To the touch, the finish is perfectly smooth, and in most light, looks flawless. I really think it is finish cracks that haven't cracked through the top surface. If it's nothing to worry about, I'll just leave it be.

I don't know on that guitar, but I've seen some strange things happen (both good & bad) with humidifying. Only bad with low or high, not just right however. Seen dry guitars smooth way out in finish with nitro, small splits under nitro close up etc. They sure sound better, to me anyway, when at 45%.

Best of luck. Just keep it spot on humidity wise and let us know if you see an changes.

I can't tell from photo (not do to anything other than in person vs. photo) but you say with close inspection with mag. glass you don't see any crack thru the nitro? If they are really scratches in the wood thru the nitro no fixing that w/o removal of finish. If light in the nitro, you can polish those right out with some mild compound.

Aster

1383053416[/url]' post='1443982']

I haven't used any magnifying glass. You can see the cracks when you look at a certain angle in the light. To the touch, the finish is perfectly smooth, and in most light, looks flawless. I really think it is finish cracks that haven't cracked through the top surface. If it's nothing to worry about, I'll just leave it be.

In my opinion, the cracks are all the way through the finish. However, they are so fine, you cannot feel them. Again, this is completely typical of an older Gibson guitar.

Yeah, been doing more reading up on it. Now a new one seems to have appeared on the front which is upsetting because I haven't subjected it to any extreme temp changes - haven't even taken it out of the apartment since I got it. But I guess I just have to live with it and it seems many people think it adds character. Me, I got upset tonight when I dinged the front a bit too. Gotta get over that!

Yeah, been doing more reading up on it. Now a new one seems to have appeared on the front which is upsetting because I haven't subjected it to any extreme temp changes - haven't even taken it out of the apartment since I got it. But I guess I just have to live with it and it seems many people think it adds character. Me, I got upset tonight when I dinged the front a bit too. Gotta get over that!

Archived