Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting Humbucker Poles...

lazarusvt84

I was messing with my JB's and now the neck and middile positions sound very much the same? Just a twinge different...almost indicernable. I'm embarrased.

Did I screw something up by screwing with the screws? I noticed some wax (potting?) coming up with the poles as I raised them a bit. The guitar still sounds great...but the rhythm and middle positions sure sound much the same now. The volume is very evenly balanced/even for the three positions. I thought it was the selector switch but it's not. I took it out...inspected it, etc. And when I adjust the two volume pots, it's clear the switch is working fine.

I also adjusted the height of the pups...then put them back to where I typical position them to ensure even volume balance.

Thoughts?

I was messing with my JB's and now the neck and middile positions sound very much the same? Just a twinge different...almost indicernable. I'm embarrased.

Did I screw something up by screwing with the screws? I noticed some wax (potting?) coming up with the poles as I raised them a bit. The guitar still sounds great...but the rhythm and middle positions sure sound much the same now. The volume is very evenly balanced/even for the three positions. I thought it was the selector switch but it's not. I took it out...inspected it, etc. And when I adjust the two volume pots, it's clear the switch is working fine.

I also adjusted the height of the pups...then put them back to where I typical position them to ensure even volume balance.

Thoughts?

I don't think you did anything wrong. Select the pickup you want then tap the all 3 with a screw driver and you should hear which ones are working. I think you did such a great job balancing them.

I don't think you did anything wrong. Select the pickup you want then tap the all 3 with a screw driver and you should hear which ones are working. I think you did such a great job balancing them.

...you got enough SGs??? [biggrin]

I can't agree. I now effectively have only two pup switch settigns on my LP...the bridge sound....and the other two positions sounding alike...like the middle position. The neck position seems to be gone altogether. Weird.

...you got enough SGs??? [biggrin]

I can't agree. I now effectively have only two pup switch settigns on my LP...the bridge sound....and the other two positions sounding alike...like the middle position. The neck position seems to be gone altogether. Weird.

Just for clarifying: Is this about a two or a three pickup LP?

Also...

Is your conclusion true regardless what you do with your volume and tone pots? That's not uncommon to have a blend that really isn't, depending on those settings.

m

I've had the guitar for a few years and suddenly, with full tone, full volume settings (how I play 100% of time)...I've been reduced to only two distinct tones from a three-way switch.

Problem solved. My son noticed too much mid coming from the neck pup, which had all six poles pretty much level with the pup cover. I read earlier that exposing more pole brightens sound. And that the neck is particularly sensitive to pole adjustments because the strings move more over the neck than over the bridge pup. I simply turned the B and G poles clockwise about 1/4 to 1/3 turn (down into the pup) and BINGO! Now I have three very distinct tones as before. Whew!! I still feel like an idiot...a relieved idiot.

I wonder if I can improve my Hagstrom's sound?

I'm dangerous now....

Archived