Gibson Brands Forums

Philly Guitar Show and NGD

CrazyHeart

Well I went to the Philadelphia guitar show and was pretty impressed with the variety of instruments. Dealers from Pa, NY,Va, NC etc...I went looking for a vintage Gibson J-45 or maybe an LG-2. Played a couple 50's J-45's and they were nice but not the sound I had in my head. These vintage guitars just seemed like they needed a lot of work or had shoddy work done already. Played a killer Martin 1931 D28 re-issue at the Martin booth. I also played a killer Martin OM-18 Authentic 1933 at a dealer booth, but the price was a little too steep for me. Came across a Gibson J-35 (brand new) and a Gibson J-45 True Vintage (also new)and was very impressed with both. I ended taking home the J-45 at an incredible price with full factory warranty. I already have a J-45 Standard, but this True Vintage is just different (sound,feel & weight). I guess Christmas came early for me this year. Anybody else there yesterday?

You got that J-45TV that was in the back area? Didn't that one still have the plastic on the pickguard? Congratulations to you, that was a nice one. Of course without pics ;) ...

Got there late. As far as how busy it was, maybe I missed the morning crowd, but I think turnout was on the light side for the Fall show. On the plus side, it's much easier walking around entranced when you're not worried about bumping into somebody or something expensive. And at around closing time, you can actually hear an acoustic guitar pretty well.

Lucky for me, no Smecks were in the house. But I had to do a double take when I walked past someone casually noodling on a 1937 Advanced Jumbo. Turns out, there were two 1937 AJ's present there that day, just feet from each other.

You got that J-45TV that was in the back area? Didn't that one still have the plastic on the pickguard? Congratulations to you, that was a nice one. Of course without pics ;) ...

Got there late. As far as how busy it was, maybe I missed the morning crowd, but I think turnout was on the light side for the Fall show. On the plus side, it's much easier walking around entranced when you're not worried about bumping into somebody or something expensive. And at around closing time, you can actually hear an acoustic guitar pretty well.

Lucky for me, no Smecks were in the house. But I had to do a double take when I walked past someone casually noodling on a ~1936 Advanced Jumbo. Turns out, there were two old AJ's present there that day, just feet from each other.

I got the J-45 right in the midway at around 1:00. It did still have the plastic on pickguard. I am loving this guitar. Got there around 11:00 a.m. and nice line. Never had to wait in a line before unless I got there right at 10:00.

Archived