Gibson Brands Forums

HELP!!!

Jus1beer

Hey guys I have a 2001 J-45 (original owner) this guitar is my baby and I take very very good care of her. I was adjusting the neck on her to give her some relief to help out with some buzzing that was going on which is very unusual for her because she's usually right on the money and I don't have to ever touch the neck (I figured she was just mad at me for taking my Martin D-35 to a gig last week instead of her.. guitars have souls after all) but as I went to give it some relief the nut just kept spinning. I could literally take my finger and twist it counter clock wise with no response what so ever until it would just come off (which I know it's not suppose to do) I don't think the truss rod is broken because when I tighten it she responds. I've tried tuning it up half a step left it for a day to see if that would help stretch the neck a bit to see if I could get some kind of response when I went to give it some relief and it didn't work. I'm out of ideas on what to do.. I did some research and sent Gibson an email just waiting for them to respond. Any tips tricks or advice to whatever is going is greatly appreciated. My 41 year old Martin on the other hand plays like a charm and I've never had any issues out of it, and it gets played and looked after just like my J-45 (my gibby is my favorite btw) I have no idea what's going on. HELP my kid is sick!!

Yikes! You have taken all the adjustment out of the rod and that is why the nut is coming off. There is no way anyone here can diagnose just what the problem with the set-up is. When you have reached the point of no adjustment by backing the nut off you might try to go to a higher gauge string to see if it will pull the neck back a bit. This is by no means a fix but it will let you know just what you are dealing with.

I think the only option for you is to get the guitar to a Authorized Gibson Warranty Center and get it looked at.

I would think that if they set the nut up to where its working again and then addressed the set-up by looking at the total picture of the neck,nut,and saddle as well as the health of the top radius they will be able to get the guitar back in working condition. Fixing a string buzz by adjusting the truss rod is not the best way to deal with set-up problems. Your truss rod is not broken. It is just fine. Please stop adjusting it and let a pro do the job.

Archived