Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversary R-9's?

TM1

So.. Are the 50th Anniversary R-9's going to be accurate? I can think of many things that are wrong with the R-9's that if Custom was doing a 50th Anni. we'd all like to see:

Correct colour plastic, knobs/controls and input jack in the right place, more accurate top carve, deep knurled switch washer, correct switch tip material and shape, Celluloid inlays(the original Italian made material and pattern is available again!), Use the Kluson reissues from WD as the housing and tip materials is the right shape and colour. Never saw green key tips on original tuners... Right bell knobs. No sheath over the trussrod, right trussrod material and size and use Brazilian, Honduran and Michigan red Maple!

So... Admin.. when are you guys going to spill the beans on the 50th Anni. R-9? Or do I have to wait until the first day of NAMM to get in your booth to see? not everyone here is as lucky as me and gets to go to NAMM.[-o</

• 2 weeks later...

“...the ultimate ’59 Les Paul Reissue.”

So, no hide glue, no Brazilian, wrong inlays, wrong tuner buttons, wrong hardware alignment, questionable pickups, questionable finish.

But you do get a no-wire ABR, slightly rolled binding with the still-huge neck profile, a COA, and a unique care kit?

Thank you, Gibson, for continuing to allow folks like Historic Makeovers & RS to make a living.

Well, as I feared, they're going to be proud of it. Don't know what the different retailer discounting structures will be but this guitar with an $8504 MSRP couldn't possibly sell for less than $6999 to $7999.

So, one 50th R9 or three or four other "really nice" guitars instead?

I would think the only way a person could justify this is if they are just independently wealthy or if there's a "likelihood" that this axe will appreciate over time.

Thoughts on its appreciation?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
http://1484.bz/c/67280/

@ the 50th anniv 1959 burst pics from NAMM show here.......

Nice looking tops! I know alot of people are turned off by R9's (the 50th especially), mostly because of price. Well, I think the critics will also be complainers and those that look at the 50th's as Gibson's best effort to replicate the original 1959 Std based on 5 actual examples is more than acceptable for those who appreciate the 50th for what it is, not what it isn't.

Thank goodness we have alot of choices in the LP realm!=D>

Archived