Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge question

Zeppeholic

Hello,

I need to change strings and polish my Les Paul up, the action is set up at standard (which I honestly do not like) I was wondering if I can just take off the strings (I need to replace them anyways) and lower the actual stopbar, and lower the tune-o-matic then put new strings without any hassle?

Yup. Just remember - If you need to lower the action at the twelfth fret by say 1 mm you have to lower the bridge by twice as much, like 2 mm. Once it's all strung up, you can check it out and if it's not right, you can just loosen all the strings and readjust the bridge and re-tension the strings. Repeat this until you get the action where you want it.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

I would make these adjustments with the old strings in place (although slacked off a bit) to hold everything in proper place, then install the new strings (one at a time), and tweak as needed).

You will most likely have to reset the intonation, and all these procedures require tightening and loosening the strings many times in trial and error. Best to abuse the old strings for this, not the new. Also remember if you remove all the strings at once you have nothing holding the stopbar or bridge in place.

Archived