Gibson Brands Forums

Week 3.1 - let's try again

jdd707

My link click here for my version but read below first.

So, thanks toThemisSal for another chance at week three and an invitation to post a more friendly song.

Drive By Truckers ... Carl Perkins Cadillac ... OK another obscure one but very straight forward. Can be learned in one sitting and played with cowboy chords as you'll see.

Lyrics and chords http://www.azchords....abs-393659.html

UTube version by the author, Mike Cooley is available

Back Story: Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison,Charlie Pride and others signed with the Sun Label in Memphis owned by Sam Phillips. Mr. Phillips promised a new Caddy the first one to have a #1 hit. Well it wasn't Elvis as you might think but rather Carl Perkins for Blue Suede Shoes (then Phillips charged the cost against Perkin's royalties .. some things never change)

Now my excuse and apology for the 66 year old "gravel voice" but stage 4 throat cancer, surgery and 60 radiation treatments (not to mention chemo) has left me with what I have for a voice and I'm joyful to sing any song. So I present it to you with joy. Here goes. Let's hear your version.... BBG .... Buc ... MP.... others.

Thanks Dan .... I'll look forward to your version, and others. Yeah, I kept it simple. Didn't want to have numerous takes for myself or others who didn't know the song. I usually insert more bass runs along with the cross pickin'. The writer's (Mile Cooley of the Drive By Truckers) UTube acoustic version has a nice solo after the first verse.

The guitar is my J50TV. A fine instrument configured by Modoc of this forum who is the guitar guy at Bailey Brothers. Only 3 made with an adirondack red spruce top, AJ bracing pattern, gold script and banner decal, aged look toner, rectangle open slot bridge, bone saddle, and white button tuners. In person it has a nice warm sound but sounded sorta bright on the recording.

Thanks for the nice comments. OK folks, lets hear some other versions!

FB .... thanks. Yeah we folks in the South East USA come from the same stock as you Assies .... mostly Scott-Irish run out of England 'cause we were so mean and honery. BTW I enjoyed your last posted song so much (And the Band Played) that I sent it to several friends with an interest in history and good music. Also listened to most of the UTube postings. I was interested to learn the Waltzing Matilda had nothing to do with dancing. See we Amerians only knew it as a drinking song. Thanks for the education.

TSal ... thanks to you. The guitar is special order from Gibson in 2012 ... as you know they are not accepting any special orders now. The guitar is my J50TV. A fine instrument configured by Modoc of this forum who is the guitar guy at Bailey Brothers. Only 3 made with an adirondack red spruce top, AJ bracing pattern, gold script and banner decal, aged look toner, rectangle open slot bridge, bone saddle, and white button tuners. In person it has a nice warm sound but sounded sorta bright on the recording.

Looking forward to your version of Carl Perkins Caddy. Be sure to check out Mike Cooley on UTube .... his and other versions are somewhat different from my ol' "country way of pickin' " to quote Guy Clark.

Here's one...melody and lyrics mangled to protect the innocent.I wasn't going to do this one but I got an Amazon delivery today of Last Train to Memphis...the Elvis biography..so I figured that was a sign that I should make an effort as the subject matter was so close to aspects of this song.Anyway always good to learn a new song...sort of.

Here's one...melody and lyrics mangled to protect the innocent.I wasn't going to do this one but I got an Amazon delivery today of Last Train to Memphis...the Elvis biography..so I figured that was a sign that I should make an effort as the subject matter was so close to aspects of this song.Anyway always good to learn a new song...sort of.

Will listen to this later , looking forward to having a stab myself. Thought it was a great song.

(Did you get the two books FB or just last train? Can't remember the name of the first thing one... Memphis something ?

Both great books )

FlatB... awesome. I never heard this song before and I really like it...

I gave it a shot early this morning. Got to work at 7:00 am, before the guys got here (we trade stocks by the way), because I didn't want their razzing my azz. I recorded it on my iphone using my $200 Yammie I keep by me on the trading desk. I capo'd 4th fret to bring the song down a half step from JD's G to accomodate my voice - so I played it in a C shape. One take - words and phrasing mangled... but hey what the heck!

http://youtu.be/XSf9EhszSvo

PS - FB - How do you embed the video instead of a clickable link?

Beautiful version Sal.Quality recording, a much better match to the original melody than mine.I got a bit generic in the melody for the chorus....yours is all the better for picking that up more accurately.

Phrasing is hard on this song without practice as there are a lot of long unrhymed lines.I took a free form approach haha.

Embedding the video? Just highlight the address bar when in the youtube page..right click - copy then back on Gibson page right click - paste.

Cheers mate.

FB and Sal ..... I agree with you both. FB is very true to the melody in original acoustic version from Mike Cooley. Sal's is also very close and quite nice. The song sounds great in a higher register as you all did. Mine is more country .... but then everything I do sounds country. I am for Alabama! Both of yours are really great versions given the songs are brand new to you. FB, I also chose this one because of a book ... I had just finished the new Johnny Cash bio when Sal made his challenge. Also Drive By Truckers are a band from my neck of the woods.

Still looking for the promised versions from BBG and Dan. I'd like to hear JohnnyReb's version but haven't seen him around in a while.

Archived