Gibson Brands Forums

1934 Jumbo Demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Here is an original original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usb2wsqNabI&list=FLHQFd7w-llp0AZ80kAagOhA&feature=mh_lolz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp5LlJDoEhM

A word about this system. I is designed to give faithful sound reproduction -- so listening through high quality headphones in that room is almost identical to listening to the actual instrument. It took a lot of work to achieve that.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I've never been able to find info on the top bracing angles of the Montana Gibson copies of the 1930's Gibson Jumbos. The original Jumbos, Trojans, and early J35's I believe had the same angle, Advanced Jumbos had their own angle, later J35's also had their own angles. The only Montana copy I'm familiar with is the Advanced Jumbo.

I've never been able to find info on the top bracing angles of the Montana Gibson copies of the 1930's Gibson Jumbos. The original Jumbos, Trojans, and early J35's I believe had the same angle, Advanced Jumbos had their own angle, later J35's also had their own angles. The only Montana copy I'm familiar with is the Advanced Jumbo.

That is consistent with what I have seen. The early Jumbos have three unscalloped tone bars, but they reek power. Of course there are other factors -- top thickness, bridgeplate, brace geometry, etc.

The big mystery for me is why the banners lack power -- so much so that they were pretty much rejected by traditional string band players and only got respect when the coffee house set recently discovered they were so good for those applications. They are lightly built, deeply scalloped, and have small bridge plates -- why don't they peel paint. I have heard John Arnold say it is because of their "triangular braces" -- he is describing the taper on the braces. Why that would kill the power?

It is not an easy topic.

Best,

-Tom

Here is an original original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp5LlJDoEhM

A word about this system. I is designed to give faithful sound reproduction -- so listening through high quality headphones in that room is almost identical to listening to the actual instrument. It took a lot of work to achieve that.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom,

We always enjoy the fidelity of your recordings.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: David Dugas is one of the sweetest flat-pickers I've ever heard. His style is so relaxed that it's easy to overlook just how skilled he really is.

tpbiii wrote, "It is not an easy topic". Very true. When you mention "triangular Braces" Do you mean the back braces and the tone bars? The scale length is the same as the Jumbos. Why? A good question.

I think he means the tone bars -- John Arnold used the word triangular, and I think he means the tone bars. He is very accessible of course, and we can ask him.

Here is a 42 J-45 -- in my experience, banner bracing is quite consistent.

42J45braces.jpg

You can see how the tone bars are significantly narrower on the top than at the bottom and how the sides are quite flat as compared to the shaped "tapper bracing" on the late 40s Martins. It seems odd to me that that particular detail can explain so pervasive an effect. Said another way, I am not at all sure I totally understand yet.

Best,

-Tom

Tom,

We always enjoy the fidelity of your recordings.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: David Dugas is one of the sweetest flat-pickers I've ever heard. His style is so relaxed that it's easy to overlook just how skilled he really is.

Thanks Nick -- I'll convey your words to him.

When we are in town, we play a couple of times a month with him in a jam session -- you are right, his playing is a joy. He is a real student of the instrument, and he also does stuff like Gypsy jazz. I hope he will come over after the first of they year and play some more for us.

If you ever get to Atlanta, we'll try to set up a jam session.

All the best,

-Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Archived