Gibson Brands Forums

Need ID help with this EPiphone

rayban

I have a starter guitar that has great tone and sound and have read through numerous online serial number identifiers, but can't find where this guitar was made....It's an Epi, AJ 15 na.....The serial number is QG 03011999. I know it was made in 2003, January and the 1999 was a run number....It's the QG manufacture designation I can't find.

I know it can't be China, because epi wasn't in china yet, until 2005, right? Thanks if you can help....I'll have to say this little cheap epi has a great sound, and the QG manufacture designation makes me wonder what the rest of the story is.

post-61756-043499900 1386860086_thumb.jpg

Sure it can be Made in China!

The AJ-10 and AJ-15 models had been the first models produced in Gibson/Epis own factory in QingDao, China.

Production in this plant started late 2002 / early 2003

It could be an 'interim' serial before using EA prefix..... :-k

There even were MiC Epis before this date, just made at OEM plants

DOH! I think you nailed it and didnt realize it. Epiphone often refers to the Gibson Qindgao factory as GQ. So its only a small stretch to come to the conclusion that QG (Qingdao Gibson) could be an interim designation for Gibson Qingdao. I should add this to the wiki.

Sure it can be Made in China!

The AJ-10 and AJ-15 models had been the first models produced in Gibson/Epis own factory in QingDao, China.

Production in this plant started late 2002 / early 2003

It could be an 'interim' serial before using EA prefix..... :-k

There even were MiC Epis before this date, just made at OEM plants

Thanks makes sense and I had a hunch that might be the case. Being an 0301 with a 1999 run number, it must have been one of the first to come out of that factory. With hope they QC was sharp eyed at that time and pride was an issue. It certainly sound good for a cheaper guitar. Came with Grover tuners, which I'm not sure if it is standard our not.

I have a starter guitar that has great tone and sound and have read through numerous online serial number identifiers, but can't find where this guitar was made....It's an Epi, AJ 15 na.....The serial number is QG 03011999. I know it was made in 2003, January and the 1999 was a run number....It's the QG manufacture designation I can't find.

I know it can't be China, because epi wasn't in china yet, until 2005, right? Thanks if you can help....I'll have to say this little cheap epi has a great sound, and the QG manufacture designation makes me wonder what the rest of the story is.

Has this one been superseded by the AJ100 - they look very similar and I think are both all laminate (although isn't there an AJ15S which has a solid top)?

There was no AJ-15S. There was an AJ-1512 and an AJ-18S. This probably was superceded by the 100. The early AJs ran until the early 2000's. The AJ-100 came out around 1999 and is still in production.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/AJ-Series

Cheers RTH

it was indeed the AJ18S I was thinking of (which to me looked very similar to the AJ220 apart from the sanded neck).

thanks

Dodger

Has this one been superseded by the AJ100 - they look very similar and I think are both all laminate (although isn't there an AJ15S which has a solid top)?

The AJ15 features a Select Spruce top, Mahogany back, sides and neck, a reverse-belly Rosewood bridge and a Rosewood fingerboard, giving you professional features at a price anyone can afford!

That info is here:http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/55007-epiphone-aj-15-vs/

Archived