Gibson Brands Forums

help me find a guitar

readeth

Hey all. I have a question for the "experts" on here.

I'm looking for a guitar but unfortunately it's very specific.

I'm looking for a left hand 1981 les paul custom. I know this is a long shot but where are some of the better more reputable places to be buying these older guitars?? I see there are a couple on ebay but I'm extremely nervous to buy anything on ebay let alone a Les Paul with all the fakes out there.

If anyone could help me out it would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Let me guess: The year you were born.

It's an amazing skill, I agree.

Try the guitar shows in your area, usually plenty of examples from all the decades. Once you start using a particular year it gets a little harder. You'll have to keep looking at the shows and possibly Vintage Guitar magazine. Good luck with it.

rct

I have a 1981 Les Paul Custom....specs as left factory.R/H.

Don't be too afraid of e-bay...if you see one you like post pics on here or a link to the listing.....the ''gang'' on here will be able to see/spot if anything is ''fishy''...check the sellers feedback,how long has he been a member etc.

The only problem I have with e-bay is you can't play the thing before buying,unless the listing is close enough to do so,having said that I think you are more likely to pick up what you want there.

Don't be too afraid of e-bay...

For something as specific as you're looking for, and lefties in general, you almost have no other choice. E-bay is a wonderful marketplace for a search of your kind.

Do your research on the year/model you're looking for. As a men's clothier used to advertised "an educated consumer is our best customer".

If you've found "a couple" on e-bay, you're way ahead of the game already. To find the perfect guitar at the right price it took me about three years to find my L-5, and even longer for my L-7.

I see you are in Canada,there is a one on e-bay now....looks the real deal,seems a bit pricey,and I haven't scrutinised it yet,...but that's not the original case,most of these were shipped with protector cases.

Pickups could be shaws or T-tops...I would ask any seller to whip em' out and send me photos...control cavity,and with truss rod cover removed...if they don't play ball forget it.

Also they say the nuts been flipped.

Hey all. I have a question for the "experts" on here.

I'm looking for a guitar but unfortunately it's very specific.

I'm looking for a left hand 1981 les paul custom. I know this is a long shot but where are some of the better more reputable places to be buying these older guitars?? I see there are a couple on ebay but I'm extremely nervous to buy anything on ebay let alone a Les Paul with all the fakes out there.

If anyone could help me out it would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Let me guess: The year you were born.

It's an amazing skill, I agree.

Try the guitar shows in your area, usually plenty of examples from all the decades. Once you start using a particular year it gets a little harder. You'll have to keep looking at the shows and possibly Vintage Guitar magazine. Good luck with it.

rct

My year of birth is 1959. In case I wanted a Les Paul made that year, they could be located easily, but there always would be a certain deal breaker... [rolleyes]

My year of birth is 1959. In case I wanted a Les Paul made that year, they could be located easily, but there always would be a certain deal breaker... [rolleyes]

Or as is more likely, and the original poster may be on the way to finding out, it could suck. I played lots of late 50's Fenders and Gibsons when I was a kid, and as guitars, which is all they were back then, some were and some weren't so great, just like today. Just because it is the year you were born doesn't make it good.

rct

Or as is more likely, and the original poster may be on the way to finding out, it could suck. I played lots of late 50's Fenders and Gibsons when I was a kid, and as guitars, which is all they were back then, some were and some weren't so great, just like today. Just because it is the year you were born doesn't make it good.

rct

This is clearly correct. No one can say for sure which of the contemporary guitars will be sought after decades from now. There also are great ones and not so great ones made nowadays.

wow. jeez. didn't expect this many responses so soon. thanks all for the feedback. I didn't know if I could post adds on here for review but will absolutely do that!!

This is clearly correct. No one can say for sure which of the contemporary guitars will be sought after decades from now. There also are great ones and not so great ones made nowadays.

Archived