Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a legit 2008 LP Junior?

Dbt25677

Hi Gibson people,

I've always been a strat kind of person. But I was thinking of exchanging a strat for a Gibson Les Paul Junior. I believe it was made in '08. He says that the serial is 084474.

6S16wVw.jpg

So here's my question:

Is it a legit LPJ? I noticed it doesn't say 'Junior' on the truss rod cover like on the newer models. But is it still legit?

Cheers

Hello Dbt,

the serial number looks a bit funny. Six digits would say before 1975 in general. After a transition, there came eight digit numbers from 1978 on, and around 2000 I think they changed to nine digits.

Perhaps some numbers got lost in transfer? Please check for that.

Close-up pics of peghead front and back would be useful, too.

That could be a Custom Shop RI serial number. In 2008 Gibson made some Custom Shop LP Jr - specifically a 1957 VOS with a 5 digit number like 78RRR where 7 is the model year reproduced ('57) and 8 is the year of manufacture (2008) followed by the production rank. It's possible there was another run with 6 digit serial like 08RRRR where 0 is the 1960 model year and 8 is the 2008 production year followed by the rank. However I can't confirm there was a run of 1960 LP Jr guitars made in 2008.

Hi Gibson people,

I've always been a strat kind of person. But I was thinking of exchanging a strat for a Gibson Les Paul Junior. I believe it was made in '08. He says that the serial is 084474.

6S16wVw.jpg

So here's my question:

Is it a legit LPJ? I noticed it doesn't say 'Junior' on the truss rod cover like on the newer models. But is it still legit?

Cheers

The real Jr's didn't have anything on the cover. They also do not have tune-amatic bridges like a lot of the newer, cheaper ones. If it is custom shop, the serial number would probably be in ink and it would only have the wrap-a-round tailpiece like the one you posted. If it's really Gibson custom shop, it probably cost around $2400 and probably a great trade for any USA Strat.

That could be a Custom Shop RI serial number. In 2008 Gibson made some Custom Shop LP Jr - specifically a 1957 VOS with a 5 digit number like 78RRR where 7 is the model year reproduced ('57) and 8 is the year of manufacture (2008) followed by the production rank. It's possible there was another run with 6 digit serial like 08RRRR where 0 is the 1960 model year and 8 is the 2008 production year followed by the rank. However I can't confirm there was a run of 1960 LP Jr guitars made in 2008.

I believe that there were very few single cutaway Juniors made in 1960. It would be odd for Gibson to make those and call them a 1960 Junior. The Gibson web page still shows the '57 Junior.

Ok some news:

I've spoken to him again and he's told me that it's actually a BJA signature model.

So what's it worth? still a good trade?

The Billy Joe Armstrong double-cut model was going for about $800 new very recently. I'm not sure what your particular model was going for new on the street but seems to be worth about $800 used. It's probably a decent guitar but it would depend on how attached you to your Stratocaster and how much you paid for your Stratocaster to make it worthwhile trade. I don't believe the fingerboard is Rosewood on that guitar and the pick up is not a P90. That's two of the reasons I wouldn't have bought it for myself. I do like the look of it, however.

Archived