Gibson Brands Forums

1974 Gibson SG serial #, but no MADE IN USA

Meast21

Could be wrong but i think i read here that they had a oval sticker with Made In USA sometime in the '70s.

Well not wrong, but not specific enough to be useful. The serial number stickers were used in 75, 76, 77, and the 8-digit number were formatted with a 2-digit prefix code for the year, with the MIA and model listed.

If the OP thinks he has a '74, it must have a 6-digit number. The problem with the 6-digit number system is that with duplications and such, it is virtually useless in dating instruments, especially of the late-60s/early 70's.

As the SG underwent many changes from 66-73, there is much more info required just to put a date on them, but the "era" is pretty easy to determine. Potentiometer codes are also very useful, and many times required.

As for the no "Made In USA", sometimes they were impressed very shallow and hard to see, and if the guitar was refinished it might have been sanded off. Also a '74 would have a headstock "volute" which would instantly identify it as a 1970+ instrument.

Anyway... this is all to say that if it IS a 1974 instrument, it DID (or DOES) have the "Made In USA" stamp.

Oh, and the "2" means it was a factory "second" (deemed to have some imperfection when it left the factory), what that REALLY means has been debated for 50 years. The legend is that "seconds" had a finish flaw. I've seen many "seconds", even hanging in stores when new, and have never been able to point to something and say "there, that's why it's a "second". I think Gibson just wanted to put a few discounted instruments on the market.

How about some photos!

Well not wrong, but not specific enough to be useful. The serial number stickers were used in 75, 76, 77, and the 8-digit number were formatted with a 2-digit prefix code for the year, with the MIA and model listed.

If the OP thinks he has a '74, it must have a 6-digit number. The problem with the 6-digit number system is that with duplications and such, it is virtually useless in dating instruments, especially of the late-60s/early 70's.

As the SG underwent many changes from 66-73, there is much more info required just to put a date on them, but the "era" is pretty easy to determine. Potentiometer codes are also very useful, and many times required.

As for the no "Made In USA", sometimes they were impressed very shallow and hard to see, and if the guitar was refinished it might have been sanded off. Also a '74 would have a headstock "volute" which would instantly identify it as a 1970+ instrument.

Anyway... this is all to say that if it IS a 1974 instrument, it DID (or DOES) have the "Made In USA" stamp.

Oh, and the "2" means it was a factory "second" (deemed to have some imperfection when it left the factory), what that REALLY means has been debated for 50 years. The legend is that "seconds" had a finish flaw. I've seen many "seconds", even hanging in stores when new, and have never been able to point to something and say "there, that's why it's a "second". I think Gibson just wanted to put a few discounted instruments on the market.

How about some photos!

Ok will come with the pictures later tonight... I am looking to sell this guitar too because I don't play.

How about some photos!

It could be a similar situation to what they used to do in the computer industry. When a manufacturer would put out a particular model of computer, they would have a predetermined number computers with certain processors, like 200Mhz, 350mhz, 500Mhz etc... Sometimes they would run out of a particular speed of processor, say the 200Mhz for example and would just slap a 350Mhz cpu in there and use the motherboards jumper settings to underclock the processor to 200Mhz. (Which was great for someone who knew to check it, after I learned of the practice I checked my own computer and this exact thing I described happened to me.)

Maybe it was sort of a marketing thing, and if there weren't enough factory defects, they'd just slap a "2" on it and ship it out trying to get gibsons into more peoples hands.

It could be a similar situation to what they used to do in the computer industry. When a manufacturer would put out a particular model of computer, they would have a predetermined number computers with certain processors, like 200Mhz, 350mhz, 500Mhz etc... Sometimes they would run out of a particular speed of processor, say the 200Mhz for example and would just slap a 350Mhz cpu in there and use the motherboards jumper settings to underclock the processor to 200Mhz. (Which was great for someone who knew to check it, after I learned of the practice I checked my own computer and this exact thing I described happened to me.)

Maybe it was sort of a marketing thing, and if there weren't enough factory defects, they'd just slap a "2" on it and ship it out trying to get gibsons into more peoples hands.

Well, that's in fact an interesting thought. [rolleyes]

Archived