Gibson Brands Forums

Song Suggestions

cliffmac

There's a bit of a problem here in terms of definition of "country."

Your profile doesn't give your age or general location, so... a bit of a problem as to what might be considered "country" where you reside.

Around here one might find an acoustic group doing '30s - '50s material... '50s electric country up into the '70s... Cowboy old and new material... old time... Chris Ledoux-style "cowboy-sometimes-rocks" that blends a lyric you can hear and understand with more of a rock beat...

There also are concerns about the venue. Some Country material - a huge, broad general concept of music - can go over well in one venue and be considered inappropriate for others.

One Johnny Cash did that was done with what I consider a better arrangement by Ian and Sylvia Tyson in their "olden days" is "Come in Stranger" that usually works across audiences if they listen. If'n you let it play out and click on the "what about me & play one more," that's from the Tysons' Nashvillian period that ain't bad.

Then again... can't go too far wrong on "Crazy," "Waltz Across Texas," "Six Days on the Road," "Tulsa Time," "Amarillo by Morning," "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain," "By the time I get to Phoenix," "Bob Wills is still the king," "San Antonio Rose," "Take me back to Tulsa," "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys," "Whatcha gonna do with a cowboy," "Faded Love," "The Dance," "He stopped loving her today," "Desperadoes waiting for a train?"

Depends on the benefit...

m

There's a bit of a problem here in terms of definition of "country."

Your profile doesn't give your age or general location, so... a bit of a problem as to what might be considered "country" where you reside.

Around here one might find an acoustic group doing '30s - '50s material... '50s electric country up into the '70s... Cowboy old and new material... old time... Chris Ledoux-style "cowboy-sometimes-rocks" that blends a lyric you can hear and understand with more of a rock beat...

There also are concerns about the venue. Some Country material - a huge, broad general concept of music - can go over well in one venue and be considered inappropriate for others.

One Johnny Cash did that was done with what I consider a better arrangement by Ian and Sylvia Tyson in their "olden days" is "Come in Stranger" that usually works across audiences if they listen. If'n you let it play out and click on the "what about me & play one more," that's from the Tysons' Nashvillian period that ain't bad.

Then again... can't go too far wrong on "Crazy," "Waltz Across Texas," "Six Days on the Road," "Tulsa Time," "Amarillo by Morning," "Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain," "By the time I get to Phoenix," "Bob Wills is still the king," "San Antonio Rose," "Take me back to Tulsa," "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys," "Whatcha gonna do with a cowboy," "Faded Love," "The Dance," "He stopped loving her today," "Desperadoes waiting for a train?"

Depends on the benefit...

m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swUQ0pPATcQ

I apologize I'm 44 and live in Ontario Canada and we play classic country along with blugrass music.

Cliff...

I doubt you could go far wrong with about any Ian Tyson material, or some of the older Ian and Sylvia Nashville sorts of material.

As well as being good, and some of the older "stuff" being either classics or relatively unknown, Ian's a proud Canadian.

One seldom done but that I rather like is "Newtonville Waltz." "One step ahead of the Devil" can get folks dancing.

Ian told me I'm a bit old fashioned when I mentioned a lot of the old Nashville material and before when I talked to him a few years ago. I'd first met him the spring of '64 and liked a lot of the material they were doing then, too.

m

Cliff...

I doubt you could go far wrong with about any Ian Tyson material, or some of the older Ian and Sylvia Nashville sorts of material.

As well as being good, and some of the older "stuff" being either classics or relatively unknown, Ian's a proud Canadian.

One seldom done but that I rather like is "Newtonville Waltz." "One step ahead of the Devil" can get folks dancing.

Ian told me I'm a bit old fashioned when I mentioned a lot of the old Nashville material and before when I talked to him a few years ago. I'd first met him the spring of '64 and liked a lot of the material they were doing then, too.

m

hanks for the ideas we do a lot of Merle and Johnny as well as blugrass tunes so the new ideas are very welcome

Archived