Gibson Brands Forums

Barter Kings

Gibson Artist

Been a fan of the program awhile mainly because it inspires me that people can find a way to get what they want even when they can't afford it! One friend of mine said yeah it works if you rip people off in every deal and i responded it's not a ripoff if the other person is getting something they really want and people are always entitled to say no.

Out of curiousity, did anyone here ever trade up from something small to get a primo Gibson that you longed for? I've thought of trying this myself but so far ive only traded up guitar to guitar.

No difference as far as I know. I think when they first came out in the late 30s they called them SJ200s and over the years it just got shortened to J200. My father and I both had 73's and they were called J200 Artists. I currently own an '89 and a 2000 and to be honest I never looked at the label to see what they called them.

No difference as far as I know. I think when they first came out in the late 30s they called them SJ200s and over the years it just got shortened to J200. My father and I both had 73's and they were called J200 Artists. I currently own an '89 and a 2000 and to be honest I never looked at the label to see what they called them.

I actually played one a few weeks ago when i got my tele. The owner had his action lowered, it played like butter and the projection was the best ive ever heard on any acoustic. Aside from the sound its just beautiful, even more than the hummingbird i believe. I kept thanking the guy for letting me play it because it seemed like a dream lol. Someday, id like to try a Hummingbird and j45 in person.

Closest thing I did was I had an original Peavey 5150 Combo up on Craigslist for $450 (I had bought it used many years earlier for $400). A guy called and asked if I'd be interested in trading for his Fender Twin Reverb RI. He brought the Twin by and we tried each other's amps (both pristine) and the deal was done.

While both amps had a similar list price when new, the Twin was worth at least $800 used vs. the Peavey at about half that.

Sold the Twin for $800 within a few weeks to purchase my Mesa Lonestar Special combo. I fear the 5150 would have taken a long time to find a buyer.

Archived